The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is offering yet another free online course through its Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) centre and has invited applications for the same. The course named "Usefulness of Remote Sensing and GIS for Environmental Studies" has been launched for the school students. The course will start from 26 July 2021 till 30 July 2021. The participants will also be awarded an ISRO certificate after completion of this five-day long course.
All Indian school students of classes 10, 11, and 12 can opt for this course. The course will concentrate on the basics of remote sensing and geographic information systems, as well as their applications in environmental research. The students who are interested in the course must apply through the IIRS Edusat portal before 20 July 2021.
Aim Of ISRO Free Online Course
According to ISRO, the course seeks to raise awareness among school children about remote sensing technology and its utilisation in the study of the planet Earth and its ecosystem through educational lectures and demonstrations. Remote sensing and GIS technology can be utilised to better grasp the environment's complexities. As per the notification, "Exposing knowledge of satellite data usage via GIS and image processing software in environmental science has a great scope since it would help students comprehend the value of remote sensing and then in professional choice-making."
About ISRO Free Online Course
The students should know the following details about the ISRO free online course on Remote Sensing:
- This course is only for students of classes 10 to 12.
- There will be two 45-minute online lectures every day, one at 10:00 a.m. and another at 12:00 p.m.
- Live streaming of the lectures will be available on the IIRS YouTube channel.
- After a five-minute break following the lecture, the participating students will be able to ask questions via the YouTube Chat Box, and a few questions will be answered by the faculty during the question and answer session of 10 minutes.
- Every day, students will be required to complete a quiz based on the two lectures that will be provided.
- During the course, the lectures will also be uploaded to the IIRS LMS website by 3 p.m. daily, where students can see the recorded lectures by signing in to the LMS portal with the credential they received via email when they registered for the course.
ISRO Free Online Course: How To Apply
The interested school students can apply for the ISRO Free Online Course through the official website by July 20, 2021. The students will receive the login credentials for the learning management system portal by email after successfully applying for the course.
ISRO Free Online Course Certificate
The participating students will be required to take a quiz based on the two lectures provided each day. An ISRO certificate for the free online course will be issued only if the overall score of the quiz at the end of the course is at least 55 percent. Participants should go through the Course Brochure thoroughly for more details.