Preparing for CAT but having a tough time with Geometry? Do not have time to join a coaching institute but want to learn? You can start learning Geometry at your own pace through the online course offered by edX. The course is called 'Introduction to Geometry' and is a 14 weeks course.
About the course:
Thousands of years back, mathematicians were able to measure the size of the earth by using few facts about lines, angles and circles. This is the power of Geometry. The course 'Introduction to Geometry' starts with the idea of parallel lines and angles and move up to 2D and 3D shapes.
The course will not restrict itself to theorems and proofs of geometry but teach some interesting real life applications of geometry such as counting the number of stones in Pyramid of Giza.
Content of the course:
Given below is the course content, that is, a crisp idea of what one is expected to learn from the course.
- How to measure angles, and rules for determining when angles are congruent
- How to prove and apply properties of triangles, quadrilaterals, and other polygons
- How to calculate the areas of polygons, circles, ellipses, and other complex shapes
- How to prove and apply the Pythagorean theorem
- How line segments and angles in circles are related
- How to calculate the volumes and surface areas of three-dimensional solids
- The course is free of cost
- For certification, the fee is $50
Who are the instructors of the course?
Instructors of the course are:
- John Lee
- Vivek Venkatchalam
- Zach Wissner-Gross
- Kenny Peng
- Michael Fountaine
- Stephen Face
EdX is an organization which gives high-quality education to the students all over the world through its online courses.