Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur offers free online course on C programming.
About the course:
This is a course in programming in C. No prior programming experience is assumed; however, mathematical maturity at the level of a second year science or engineering undergraduate is assumed.
They emphasize solving problems using the language, and introduce standard programming techniques like alternation, iteration and recursion. They will briefly glimpse the basics of software engineering practices like modularization, commenting, and naming conventions which help in collaborating and programming in teams.
Given a problem, they pay attention to the following questions:
- What is an algorithmic solution to the problem?
- How do we translate the algorithm into C code?
- How efficient is the code?
- How maintainable is the code?
- The registration for the certification exam is open to all students enrolled in the "Introduction to Programming in C" online course.
- The certification exam will test the student in topics covered in the course.
- There is currently no provision for students outside India, to appear for the exam.
How to apply:
- Course name: Introduction to Programming in C
- Dates of exam: 30 November 2014 (or) 14 December 2014 (choose any one date)
- Exam Session time: 10am - 1pm
- Examination centres: The exam is to be conducted in 100 cities across India whose list is available on the registration form.
- Registration fees: Rs 1250/-
- Mode of payment: Only online payment - debit card/credit card/net banking
The eligibility criteria for obtaining the certificate is the following:
- A = average (out of 100) of the 3 highest weekly online assignment scores
- B = score (out of 100) from proctored exam
- Combined score = 0.5*A + 0.5*B
- Only those whose combined score is above 60% will get a certificate.