The civil services preliminary examination, to select Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and Indian Police Service (IPS) officers among others, has been preponed and it is scheduled to be held in June this year instead of August.
The preliminary tests for 2016, 2015 and 2014 were held during the month of August, a senior UPSC official said.
After a gap of three years:
- The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) will be conducting the examination in June after a gap of three years.
- The preliminary exam for 2013 was held on May 26, 2013.
- The civil services preliminary examination, 2017, will be held by the Commission on 18 June 2017, as per an official order.
A total number of vacancies:
- The number of vacancies to be filled on the result of the examination is expected to be approximately 980 which include 27 vacancies reserved for those in the physically handicapped category.
- The final number of vacancies may undergo changes after getting a firm number of vacancies from cadre controlling authorities.
- Reservation will be made for candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Other Backward Classes and Physically Disabled Categories in respect of vacancies as may be fixed by the government.
How are the civil services exams conducted?
The civil services examination is conducted annually by the UPSC in three stages:
preliminary, main and interview- to select officers for IAS, IFS, and IPS, among others.
The Commission has also notified rules for the civil services examination 2017.
Dates to remember:
- The last date for receiving the applications for the preliminary test: 17 March 2017 till 6 PM.
- Prelims to be held on 18, June 2017.
- The main examination is likely to be held in October 2017.
Candidates who are declared by the Commission to have qualified for admission to the civil services (main) examination will have to apply online again.
In the Detailed Application Form (DAF) which would be made available to them.
For further information, visit the official website: http://www.upsc.gov.in/