The Union Public Service Commission has invited applications for Combined Defence Services examination 2016. The official notification of the Combined Defence Services (CDS) Exam-I, 2016 has been released by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). The exam is conducted twice a year. Candidates who wish to join the Indian armed forces like Army, Navy and Air force as an officer appear in the exam.
There are basically four different training academies which one can join through CDS exam.
- Indian Military Academy for Indian Army (Only Men)
- Indian Air Force Academy for Indian Air Force (Only Men)
- Naval Academy for Indian Navy (Only Men)
- Officers Training Academy (Men and Women)
- For Indian Military Academy/Officers' Training Academy: Candidates must possess a bachelor's degree from a recognised university or equivalent.
- For Indian Naval Academy: Candidates must possess a Bachelor of Engineering degree.
- For Air Force Academy: Candidates must possess a degree of a recognised university with Physics and Mathematics at Class 12 level or Bachelor of Engineering.
- Graduates with first choice as Army/Navy/Air Force are required to submit a proof of graduation provisional certificates on the date of commencement of the SSB interview at the SSB.
- For CDS exam, applicants can be from any stream but for entry to Air Force and Navy, candidates should have studied Physics and Maths up to Class 12.
- Candidates who are studying in the final year degree course and are yet to pass the final year degree examination can also apply but they will be required to subject a proof of passing the degree examination.
How to apply:
- Candidates can apply online.
- Candidates are advised to fill single application form.
- A print out of the filled application form must be taken for future reference.
UPSC CDS Paper pattern:
- The examination will be an objective-type (multiple choice question) format.
- The written exam for Indian Military Academy, Naval Academy and Air Force Academy will consist of questions based on the subjects like General Knowledge, English and Elementary Mathematics.
- The written exam for Officers' Training Academy will test the candidates on Elementary Mathematics and General Knowledge.
The process consists of the following stages:
- Written exam
- Interview/ Intelligence Test/ Personality Test
- Document verification
- Medical examination
- Candidates qualifying the written test will have to appear for the interview and the group discussion.
- The last date for submission of applications: December 4
- The date of the UPSC CDS exam: February 14, 2016
For further information, visit www.upsc.gov.in