The Union government has taken to twitter to publicise the slew of initiatives for education launched under the guidance of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Using the official handle @MyGovIndia, the initiatives are posted with the title tags Transforming Education, #TransformingIndia and a logo with words 'Did you know?'
To name a few, the opening of new premium government institutes like IIT and IIM, opening of 600 student start ups, MOOCs, projects, scholarships and WiFi facilities incorporated in college campuses are displayed in a neat chart series under the relevant theme. These simple to understand charts are sure to draw the required attention of the public.
Here are some of the schemes under the Transforming Education motto, that the tweets state as having been implemented:
- 66 lakhs books have been made available in the Indian National Digital Library (INDL).
- National Academic Depository (NAD) has been inducted to keep safe the certificates of students in digital format.
- 258 research projects worth 596 crore rupees approved.
- 32 DTH educational channels that run 24x7 have been launched.
- GATE scholarship awarded to 41,000 students.
- Special scholarships have been awarded to the Jammu and Kashmir students.
- E-pathshala launched.
Apart from stating the welfare measures, the website also paves as a platform to launch contests and events conducted for education. These contests create a win-win situation for both the students and the government as most of them are contests to provide solutions for the challenges faced in respective industries.
For instance, on May 6, a contest was announced inviting candidates to contribute project ideas for innovting solutions to the shortcomings of the Indian Railways. "@RailMinIndia needs your smart ideas! Take the 'Innovation Challenge for Indian Railways' and win up to Rs 6 lakhs," the announcement read.