The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on February 22, 2017 issued a notification announcing date and procedure for applying for Indian Civil Services Preliminary Examination, 2017 on its official website.
Vacancy Details: 980 posts.
Important dates to remember:
- To apply: 22, February 2017.
- Last date to apply: The Online Applications can be filled up to March 17, 2017 till 18:00 Hrs.
- Exams held: June 18, 2017.
1) Nationality: For the Indian Administrative Service and the Indian Police Service, a candidate must be a citizen of India.
(2) For other services, a candidate must be either:- (a) a citizen of India, or (b) a subject of Nepal, or (c) a subject of Bhutan, or (d) a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or (e) a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India. Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and (e) shall be a person in whose favor a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
Government strives to have a workforce which reflects gender balance and women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Provided further that candidates belonging to categories (b), (c) and (d) above will not be eligible for appointment to the Indian Foreign Service.
A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary may be admitted to the UPSC examination but the offer of appointment may be given only after the necessary eligibility certificate has been issued to him/her by the Government of India.
A candidate must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 32 years on the 1st of August, 2017 i.e., he/ she must have been born not earlier than August 2, 1985 and not later than August 1, 1996.
Necessary action to make corresponding changes in respective Rules/Regulations pertaining to various services is being taken separately.
Minimum Educational Qualifications:
The candidate must hold a degree of any of Universities incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University Under Section-3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification.
A total number of attempts:
- Every candidate appearing at the examination who is otherwise eligible shall be permitted six attempts at the examination.
- Provided that this restriction on the number of attempts will not apply in the case of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes candidates who are otherwise eligible.
- Provided further that the number of attempts permissible to candidates belonging to Other Backward Classes, who are otherwise eligible shall be nine.
- The relaxation will be available to the candidates who are eligible to avail of reservation applicable to such candidates.
- Provided further that a physically handicapped will get as many attempts as are available to other non-physically handicapped candidates of his or her community, subject to the condition that a physically handicapped candidate belonging to the General Category shall be eligible for nine attempts.
- Necessary action to make Corresponding Changes in respective Rules/Regulations Pertaining to various services is being taken separately.
- The relaxation will be available to the physically handicapped candidates who are eligible to avail of reservation applicable to such candidates.
Restrictions on applying for the examination:
A candidate who is appointed to the Indian Administrative Service or the Indian Foreign Service on the results of an earlier examination and continues to be a member of that service will not be eligible to compete at this examination.
In case such a candidate is appointed to the IAS/ IFS after the Preliminary Examination of Civil Services Examination, 2017 is over and he/she continues to be a member of that service, he/ she shall not be eligible to appear in the Civil Services (Main) Examination, 2017 not withstanding his/ her having qualified in the Preliminary Examination, 2017.
Also provided that if such a candidate is appointed to IAS/ IFS after the commencement of the Civil Services (Main) Examination, 2017 but before the result thereof and continues to be a member of that service, he/she shall not be considered for appointment to any service/ post on the basis of the result of this examination viz. Civil Services Examination, 2017.
Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to Civil Services Examination 2017.
Candidates (excepting Female/ SC/ ST/ PH Candidates who are exempted from payment of fee) are required to pay fee of Rs. 100/- (Rupees One Hundred only) either by remitting the money in any Branch or by cash or by using net banking facility or by using Visa/Master Credit/Debit Card.
How to Apply:
Candidates are required to apply online through the official website.
In Detailed instructions for filling up online applications are available on the mentioned website: