In what may seem a milestone to the education system, the Punjab government has announced free education for girls from nursery to PhD in government schools and colleges. This comes a welcome move in the right direction for women empowerment in the form of education.
Why is free education for girls in Punjab announced?
This might sound like a mere election manifesto, but Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh has kept up his poll promise, reassuring faith in him from the people of the state
What are the other women empowerment schemes in Punjab?
The government has also increased the reservation for women in Panchayati Raj Institutions and Urban Local Bodies from 33 per cent to 50 per cent.
When was the free education for girls announcement made?
The announcement came during the Chief Minister's speech on the motion of thanks to the Governor's Address in the State Assembly.
What are the other education related welfare measures in Punjab?
- Free textbooks along with kindergarten classes introduced in the government schools from the next academic year.
- Free Wi-FI for 13,000 primary schools and all 48 government colleges.
- A pilot project to promote English in government schools from next month
- Five new colleges would be set up in the state during this fiscal, notwithstanding the financial crunch faced by the government.
Other people welfare initiatives
- Phased waiver of loans of up to Rs 50,000 given to Dalits and economically weak sections by the State Scheduled Caste Corporation and the State Backward Classes Corporation.
- A scheme for free houses for the homeless apart from the low-cost housing for the economically weak would also be launched.
- A new Lokpal bill, which would bring not only the ministers and all the bureaucrats under in its ambit but the Chief Minister as well.