The official notification for Common Law Admission Test 2018 notification is now live and the exam is scheduled to be held on May 13, 2018.
CLAT is the gateway to the 5-year LLB (undergraduate) courses offered by the 19 most sought-after law schools in the country except National Law University, Delhi and Himachal Pradesh National Law University, which hold their separate admission tests. The test is conducted by one of the 19 participating law colleges in rotation, in order of their establishment.
For its 2018 session, the test is being conducted by National University of Advanced Legal Studies (NUALS), Kochi. The application process of CLAT started on January 1, 2018 and candidates can apply for the same till June 2018.
To avail a chance at securing a seat in one of the 19 participating NLUs, a candidate needs to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- A candidate of General, OBC, SAP, and other categories must have a minimum aggregate of 45% in 10+2 or equivalent examination. The same for a candidate belonging to Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribe categories is 40%.
- A candidate appearing for qualifying examination in March/April 2018 must present an evidence of passing their examination at the time of admission, failing to do so would lead to loss of consideration for admission.
- The result of the qualifying examination must be submitted by the candidate at the time of admission, else they shall be ineligible for admission in the UG courses.
- There is no maximum age limit to be eligible to sit for the examination.
CLAT EXAM PATTERN
CLAT is a 2-hour-long test consisting of 200 question each of 1 mark in the following areas:
1. English including comprehension - 40 questions
2. General Knowledge and Current affairs - 50 questions
3. Elementary Mathematics - 20 questions
4. Legal Aptitude - 50 questions
5. Logical Reasoning - 40 questions
Placement Trends At NLUs
An LLB student at NLU can get a package between INR 15-18 Lakhs per annum from campus placements. Some of the top recruiters at the NLUs are:
Indian Law Firms:
- Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas
- Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas
- Luthra & Luthra
- Khaitan & Co.
- Lakshmikumaran & Sridharan
- ALG India
- J Sagar Associates
- Majumdar & Partners
- Mehta & Mehta Associates
- Saikrishna Associates
- AZB & Partners
- Talwar Thakore & Associates
- S & R Associates
- Vaish Associates
- BMR Legal
- Tuli & Co.
- TPM Solicitors
- Arthe Law
- Wadia Gandhy
- SK Farhan & Associates
- Nexus Legal
- LexPlosion Solutions
- Chambers of Advocate Karan Joseph
International Law Firms
- Linklaters and Freehills
- Herbert Smith
- Allen & Overy
- Norton Rose
- Freshfields Buckhaus Deringer
- Slaughter and May
- DLA Piper
- Baker & Mckenzie
- Jones Day
- Gibson Dunn
- Clifford Chance
Corporate Business Organizations
- All India Reporter (AIR)
- L&T Finance
- Eastern Book Co.
- Deutsche Bank
Placement Trends At NLUs : Total Intake
Nalsar Hyderabad Day Zero Recruitment
|Firm||Accepted PPOs||Accepted Day Zero offers||Total Intake|
NLSIU Bangalore Day Zero Recruitment
|Firm||PPOs Accepted||Day Zero Offers Accepted||Total Accepted|
|Khaitan & Co||2||2||4|
|Luthra & Luthra||0||2||2|
|AZB & Partners||0||3||3|
|Talwar Thakore Associates||0||1||1|
|Allen & Overy||1 training contract||1|
|Linklaters(Hong Kong)||2 vacation schemes|
NUJS West Bengal Day Zero Recruitment
| Day Zero|
|1. ||Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas||8||1||9|
|2. ||Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas||2||2||4|
|3. ||Khaitan & Co||2||2||4|
|4. ||S & R Associates (did not participate in Day Zero)||1||1|
|6. ||AZB & Partners||4||4|
|7. ||Luthra & Luthra||1||3||4|
NLU Jodhpur Day Zero Recruitment
|Firm||Total Accepted Offers|
|Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas||6|
|Khaitan & Co||3|
|Luthra & Luthra||9|
|Majmudar & Partners||1 (+4 assessment internships)|
|Nishith Desai Associates||1|
|Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas||3|
CLAT form can filled only online on the official website of, i.e. www.clat.ac.in and the deadline to complete the entire process of application along with the payment of fee is May 31, 2018 which is INR 4000/- for General, OBC, SAP, and other category candidate and of INR 3500/- for SC/ST category candidate and can be made both online (using debit card/ credit card/ net banking/ payment wallets, etc.) and offline (in cash only at the relevant bank counter). The same must be done latest by March 31, 2018.
A candidate while applying for CLAT 2018 needs to submit scanned copies of:
- Front facing passport size recent photograph
- Signature of the candidate
- Certificate in PDF format issued by the competent authority to support the claim of Specially Abled Persons (SAP).
The hall ticket for the examination will be available for the candidates to download from April 20, 2018 from their official CLAT 2018 account. The candidates need to read and adhere to all the instructions mentioned in the hall ticket.
The result of CLAT 2018 shall be published in the CLAT website on May 30, 2018.
Admission procedure of the qualifying candidates will begin after the declaration of the result through centralized online counselling conducted by the CLAT office.
Other details related to intake, reservation policies and the course details along with the fee structures of various participating NLUs can be accessed in the Information Brochure available on the official website of CLAT as well as from the websites of the 19 participating NLUs.