The University Grants Commission (UGC) has decided that the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) will conduct The National Eligibility Test (NET) exam in July. An official notification in this regard is likely to be released soon.
When is the NET conducted?
The NET is held twice a year i.e in the month of July and December- for the grant of junior research fellowship and eligibility for the assistant professorship in universities and colleges.
More on the NET:
- The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) had last year approached the HRD Ministry expressing its inability to conduct the exam due to capacity crunch as it was overburdened with other tests such as the JEE-MAIN and NEET for under- graduate engineering and medical courses.
- The ministry has not issued any guidelines in this regard and the CBSE, too, has not yet issued a notification for the exam scheduled in July. The notification is usually out by the first week of April every year.
- Scores of students had protested outside the UGC last week demanding that the uncertainty over the exam be cleared and a notification is issued.
- "The CBSE had approached the HRD ministry expressing their inability. We recently had a meeting with HRD officials over the issue and it was decided that the board will conduct the exam in July without causing any delay," a senior UGC official said on the condition of anonymity.
- "The arrangement is likely to continue till the proposed National Testing Service (NTS) for the conduct of all exams is set up by the government," he said.
- The NET was conducted by the UGC till 2014 following which it was handed over later to the CBSE.
Also read: CBSE Scraps Moderation Policy