The National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar has released an admission notification inviting applications from interested, eligible candidates to apply for its Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programme offered in the School of Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Physical Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences and Mathematical Sciences for the academic session 2017.
The scholarship given by NISER is Rs 25,000 for first two years, which will subsequently be enhanced to Rs 28,000 for remaining three years.
Age limit: Not more than 28 years on April 1, 2017 (Born on/ after April 2, 1989).
Ph.D. in Biological Sciences: The candidates interested in applying for this program must possess 60 per cent marks in Master's in any branches of biology, life sciences or allied fields, pharmaceutical sciences and bioinformatics.
Ph.D. in Chemical Sciences: The candidates interested in applying for this program must possess 60 percent in masters in chemistry or allied fields.
Ph.D. in Physical Sciences: The candidates interested in applying for this program must possess 60 per cent or equivalent GPA cumulatively till the last year/semester examination appeared in MSc majoring in physics or ME/MTech in applied physics.
Ph.D. in Mathematical Sciences: The candidates interested in applying for this program must possess 60 percent in masters in mathematics or statistics or computer science.
How is the selection procedure done?
- The selection committee of the respective schools will short-list the candidates among those who meet the minimum educational qualifications and satisfy additional criteria which each school may set as deemed necessary.
- The short-listed candidates will be called for an interview, supplemented by a written test, if necessary, for the admission.
- Based on the academic record and the performance of the candidates in the selection process, the selection committee of the school will recommend candidates to the Chairman, Academic Council for admission to the Ph.D. program.
How to apply?
- The application form has to be filled up online and candidates should follow stepwise instructions mentioned to complete the application submission process.
- At the time of application, along with this online form, the candidate should upload soft copy of the supporting documents in favor of eligibility criteria as a single pdf file (maximum upload limit 2MB).
- Candidates intending to apply for more than one school should fill up online application forms for each school and submit separate forms with appropriate supporting documents.
- Two sealed letters of reference in the prescribed format with the signature of the referee on the envelope should be produced by the student at the time of interview.
- NISER does not demand any entrance fee from the candidates who apply for the Ph.D. program.
- Online application will be activated on March 2, 2017 (Thursday)
- Last date for filling up online application: April 1, 2017 (Saturday)
- List of short-listed candidates will be uploaded on NISER website latest by April 20, 2017.
- The last date for submission of online application is April 1, 2017.
Tentative dates for test/ interview, at Jatni campus will be as follows:
- School of Mathematical Sciences: May 17-18, 2017
- School of Biological Sciences: May 16-17, 2017
- School of Chemical Sciences: May 22- 23, 2017
- School of Physical Sciences: May 18- 19, 2017
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences: May 15- 16, 2017
- Each school will send the call letters to the candidates separately.
- Kindly refer to the website for the date of announcement of the selected candidates.
- The registration will be done on July 25, 2017 (Tuesday).
Desirous candidates should send an email request to
Applicants are encouraged to visit school web page for information on research
activities & admissions.