The number of government quota seats in many UG engineering programs such as computer science and allied courses has been hiked by almost 25% by the Karnataka state government this year. 5,389 seats have been added to these courses raising the number from 21,804 in the 2021-22 session to 27,193 for the 2022-23 batch.
The minister of higher education, Ashwathnarayan CN, declared this on his official Twitter account saying that the decision was made to make the youth industry-ready and employable.
Rise in Engineering Seats in Karnataka: The Detail
- 1,349 seats have been added to Computers Science and Engineering, while 1,008 more seats have been added to Computer Science Engineering - Data Sciences, and 725 seats added to CSE-Al Machine learning.
- 526 seats have increased in Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning while the Information Science & Engineering seats got a boost of 410 seats.
- Seats in some programs have been reduced too, have a look at the image provided by the minister for a complete seat increment matrix.
Apart from seat increment, 3 new engineering courses have also been added. They are Computer Science (IT) - Cyber Security, Computer Science Robotic Engineering AI & Machine Learning, and Computer Science - Internet of Things including Block Chain.
- The total student intake in Karnataka UG engineering courses is 1,11,882.
- This year, 53,248 students have got admission through Common Entrance Test (CET) qualification, whereas 25,171 seats are reserved for COMEDK passed.
- Seats meant for 'Management and Supernumerary' quotas are 33,463 and 4,607 respectively.