UGC informed to students and parents that they must be aware about these universities.
According to the UGC Act, only those universities that have been established under an Act of Parliament or state legislature or granted a deemed university status under Section 3 of the UGC Act are entitled to call themselves universities and confer degrees.
Every year, UGC will check for the fake universities across India.
UGC urged students, that they should not go for admission into these universities. If not, commission would not be responsible for any further movements.
The institutions which the UGC has barred from using the word "university" and being "declared as fake and do not have any right to confer or grant degrees" are:
- Maithili University/Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga, Bihar.
- Commercial University Ltd, Daryaganj, Delhi
- United Nations University, Delhi
- Vocational University, Delhi
- ADR-Centric Juridical University, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Science and Engineering, Delhi
- Badagganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Belgaum, Karnataka
- St. John's University, Kerala
- Keserwani Vidyapith, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
- Raja Arabic University, Nagpur, Maharahtra
- DDB Snaskrit University, Putur, Trichi, Tamil Nadu
- Indian Institure if Alternative Medicine, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Varaneseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
- Mahila Gram Vidyapith, Vishwavidyalaya (Women's University) Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
- Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
- National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
- Nataji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
- Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratabgarh, Uttar Pradesh
- Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area, Khoda, Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Gurukul Vishwavidyalaya, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh.
"All such self-styled unrecognised and unapproved institutions are hereby cautioned that running of under-graduate or post-graduate degree courses and giveing misleading advertisements shall attract severe action under the provisions of appropriate laws including UGC Act, IPC, etc," the UGC statement said.