It may be noted that ten years ago Ex President of India Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam laid the foundation stone for the permanent campus of Biju Patnaik University of Technology (BPUT) at Chhend Colony in Rourkela. Ever since its academic session began in 2003-04, a camp office of the University is functioning from Bhubaneswar while BPUT's main office is being operated from campus of UGIE.
The University has 158 colleges, both constituent and affiliated, with around 1.2 lakh students. The disciplines include engineering and architecture, business management and hotel management, computer studies and pharmacy. Several of these offer both undergraduate and post graduate studies.
Biju Patnaik University of Technology (BPUT), Rourkela has been established by an Act of the Assembly, Government of Orissa in June 2002. All Engineering, Pharmacy, Architecture and most of the colleges offering MCA and MBA degree programmes are either constituent or affiliated colleges of this University.
Objectives of the University:
- Providing the affiliated and constituent institutions with state-of art curricula and syllabi.
- Preparing world class course material packages for students of the university.
- Establishing a rational, efficient and transparent system of examination, evaluation and publication of results.
- Providing quality input (both for developing domain knowledge and soft skill) to students through combination lecture, print and electronic media.
- Imparting training for teachers.
- Providing career development of faculty through Master's and Ph.D programmes.
- Offering facilities for research in frontier areas through a number of Advanced Centres.