GATE 2013 offline examination is of Multiple Choice type Questions (MCQs). Candidates have to provide their answers to the questions in terms of one of the options: A, B, C, or D. To capture the answers candidates will be provided with an Optical Response Sheet (ORS), where they have to fill in the answers to the corresponding question. Answers written only on the ORS provided at the exam centre will be used for evaluation. Question Paper Booklets will not be collected after the exam and the candidates may take it back with them.
A sample ORS is provided here for the candidates to practice and to become familiar with the sheet before hand.
- Read the instructions given on the ORS carefully.
- The answers to the questions must be provided on the Left Hand Side of the ORS against the question numbers shown to the left of the A,B,C,D bubbles. No other identification mark must appear on this side of the ORS.
- Candidate's Name, Registration Number, and Signature must be clearly written only on the Right Hand Side.
Tips to fill ORS:
- The ORS will be processed electronically, and it is important to follow these instructions to ensure that the intended responses are captured by the processing software:
- Use only a black ink ball point pen. Never use a pencil for marking your answers. It is no longer acceptable.
- Shade the complete oval bubble in black color. Partly shaded bubbles or bubbles shaded larger than the bubble area may not be recognized.
- Do not make any other extraneous marks (like strokes, lines, curves, or doodles) on the ORS.
- Each question has only one correct answer. Do not mark more than one bubble for an answer to a question.
- Do not use a "tick" mark or any other mark to indicate an answer.
- Do not leave small shaded dots inside a bubble, as this could be considered as an answer. If you are not sure of the answer leave it blank.
- No bubbles shaded for a question (no answer) is acceptable. You will not be evaluated for that question (i.e., you will neither gain nor loose marks for it).
- Do not erase a bubble with a rubber eraser, as this could damage the paper and render it unqualified to be processed.
- Carefully write the registration number as shown on your admit card in the boxes above the bubbles.
Important steps need to be carried at Exam hall:
- Candidates have to check the question paper code of GATE paper they had applied for.
- Check if the Question Paper Code (EC, EE, IN, CS, ME, or PI) matches with actual Question Paper Booklet.
- Check if the Question Booklet Code (A, B, C, or D) on the ORS matches with what is printed on the Question Paper Booklet. If these two do not match, you must immediately report this to the invigilator in the class room, who will give you a replacement ORS.
- Read the corresponding numbers below and carefully shade the bubbles.
- Write your Name legibly (preferably in CAPITAL CASE letters).
- Sign the ORS form and make sure that the invigilator also signs it before you leave the hall.
Here is an advise that, take a print out of the sample ORS pdf file and practice bubbilng as much as you can. Prepare well for the subject as well! Best Wishes for the exam.