At this crucial turning point, parents need to be their children's pillars of support, on which they can lean for all their needs. Be it in solving academic problems or dealing with the psychological and emotional duress that accompanies the entrance tests, parents have varied roles to play, experts say. Be for them 24X7.
Parents want to help, but sometimes they don't think they know enough about the subject matter or think they've been out of school too long to help. But you don't need to be a subject expert to give your child support and guidance through exams.
Here are a few advice that parents can follow in order to help their wards prepare for exams.
1. Don't pressure students to perform well in their exam, as it only stresses them out. Parents also have to take the lead in creating a conducive atmosphere at home, to help children concentrate on their studies.
2. It's an opportunity for parents to build friendship with their children and be a guide. Be a source of encouragement, help them build confidence and beat the exam blues.
3. Children absorb parents' feelings. If the parents get worried and stressed out over their performance, the children sense their feelings and adopt them. Expert advice: Stay calm and relaxed.
4. Even if your are doubtful about the result, make sure the children don't sense that.
Sometimes, there might be a crisis in the family during this crucial time, let it not affect the child's studies and performance in the exams.
5. As a parent, pay special attention towards your child and encourage him/her to overcome their worries and gain confidence to go through their exams successfully. Having someone to talk to about their work can help. Support from the parents can help children air their worries and keep things in perspective.
6. Also, it must be ensured that the child is sleeping well for about 6-8 hours. This helps in increasing the thinking and concentration power of the child.
7. The child must be reminded that nervousness is a common phenomenon for every student. The child must be explained that nervousness can make him/her lose confidence and the key is to set these nerves to activist use.
8. Parents must focus on their kid's activeness. They must encourage their child to follow an exercise routine, as it helps enhance their energy levels, ease stress and increases concentration and memory power.
Below are a few simple steps you can follow:
- Know the exam timetable
- Provide a suitable study environment
- Double check students' preparation
- Balance study with free time
- Speak to teachers about your wards progress time to time.
Hope these tips were useful for you. How did you feel helping your ward for their examinations. Share with us.