Objectives of UNU-IAS PhD Fellowship: The main purpose of this fellowship programme is to provide young scholars and policy-makers, especially from the developing world, with a multidisciplinarily context within which to pursue advanced research and training that are of professional interest to the applicant and of direct relevance to the research agenda of UNU-IAS.
The proposals are invited for the following areas:
- Science and Technology for Sustainable Societies
- Sustainable Urban Futures
- Biodiplomacy Initiative
- Sustainable Development Governance
- Traditional Knowledge Initiative
- Marine/Costal Governance and Urban Biodiversity (UNU-IAS OUIK)
- Applicants must be at the dissertation writing stage of their PhD with a research proposal accepted by the candidate's university. Language proficiency in English is essential. Applicants from developing countries and women are particularly encouraged to apply.
- UNU-IAS Ph.D. Fellowships are awarded for a period of 12 months. The starting date of the PhD Fellowship Programme is 1 September. Successful applicants are required to be in Yokohama or Kanazawa by this date. Residency in Yokohama or Kanazawa for the full duration of the fellowship is required.
Ph.D. Fellows will be provided with accommodation by UNU-IAS. Usage charges other than utilities (electricity, water, gas, telephone, etc.) are as follows:
- Single room apartment (for one person): JPY80,000 or more per month
- Twin room apartment (for couples) : JPY130,000 or more per month
- The UNU-IAS PhD Fellowship Programme begins on 1 September and the selected Fellows are required to be in Japan by this date.
- The deadline for applications for the 2013 Fellowships is 28 February 2013.
How To Apply
Interested and eligible candidates are invited to complete the online-application form. If you do not have access to the Internet, please contact us (see the contacts below). The online form and the required documents indicated in the form must be in English. If the supporting document is in another language, please also attach an English translation
Selection Criteria and Process
Selection Process: Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria:-
(i) The research objectives of the applicant and the quality of the research
(ii) the relevance of the research proposal to the ongoing or planned research
activities of the applicant's selected Research Programme at UNU-IAS;
(iii) the applicant's academic merit and the potential for successful research while
After the initial review of all completed applications, short-listed candidates will be contacted for a telephone interview.
Ph.D. Fellowship Programme
United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies
6F, International Organizations Center
1-1-1 Minato Mirai
Nishi-ku, Yokohama 220-8502