The National Entrance Screening Test or NEST is a compulsory test for admission to the 5 year Integrated M.Sc. programme in basic sciences - Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics - at National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar and University of Mumbai - Department of Atomic Energy Center for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UN-DAE CBS), Mumbai. Both NISER and CBS are autonomous institutions established by Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Government of India, in 2007.
NEST 2013 Pattern:
The question paper will consist of 5 (five) sections. Section 1 is compulsory for all candidates to attempt and will have questions on general science to test candidates' awareness towards basic scientific facts. There will be no negative marking in this general section. Sections 2 through 5 will contain questions from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. Candidates are required to answer any three of these four sections. The questions will be of objective (MCQ) type designed to test candidates' subject comprehension and analytic ability. In the subject sections, there will be negative marking for incorrect answers. Some questions can have one or more correct answers for which marks can only be earned by marking all correct answers. For the past few years' NEST question papers, refer to the NEST-2013 website. Language of the question paper will be English only.
NEST 2013 syllabus:
The syllabus for NEST-2013 typically follows the NCERT / CBSE science syllabus of class XI / XII.
- Candidates seeking admission to NISER and UM-DAE CBS for the academic session 2013-14 should be from science stream (having any combination of Biology / Chemistry / Mathematics / Physics) at class XII and must write the NEST-2013 examination. Candidates who have passed class XII examination or equivalent from any recognized Board in India in 2011 or 2012 or are appearing in 2013 can apply for NEST-2013. Admission will be offered strictly on basis of Merit List of NEST-2013.
- Candidates securing at least 60% marks in aggregate or equivalent grade in class XII examination will finally be eligible for admission to NISER and CBS. Where only letter grades are available, a certificate from the Board specifying equivalent percentage marks is required. In the absence of such a certificate, the decision of the Admission Committee of the concerned Institution will be final.
General and OBC category candidates born on or after July 22, 1993 are eligible to apply. The age limit is relaxed by 5 years for SC / ST / Physically Disabled (PD) candidates.
How to apply:
- Candidates can apply online and Offline.
- The application fee for the male candidates of General / OBC category is Rs. 700. The application fee for SC/ST/PD and all female candidates is Rs. 350. The fee can be paid either by Demand Draft or Electronic Transfer.
- Candidates may send request letter to the Chief Coordinator NEST-2013 at the address below for paper-copy of the application form. The candidate should fill up the form, attach photo, sign and return the completed application form along with the application fees (in the form of DD) to the Chief Coordinator by post, preferably speedpost. Incomplete application form or form without DD will be summarily rejected.
Last date fro receiving request for paper application form: Feb 20, 2013.
Closing online / offline application: March 08, 2013.
Download and dispatch of admit cards: April 08, 2013.
NEST 2013 examination on: May 25, 2013.
NEST 2013 results will be on: June 17, 2013.
The Chief Coordinator, NEST-2013,
NISER, Institute of Physics Campus,
Sachivalaya Marg, P.O. Sainik School,
Bhubaneswar - 751005.