This is your precious time where you need to buckle up with your tight preparation and manage your timings to each section. The below lines shall explain you the detailed note on how you can manage your timings and prepare for the final touch of the exam.
CAT 2012 Pattern and Duration Details
- The CAT 2012 will have only 2 sessions namely Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation and second section as Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning. These two sections will be implemented sequentially with separate time limits.
- The Examination will be of 140 minutes where, candidates will have 70 minutes to answer 30 questions within each section which will have an on-screen countdown timer. Within the 70 minutes provided for the section, candidates can review the answers. Once the time ends for the first section, they will move to the second section and will be no longer be able to go back.
How to Prepare?
If you are pursuing graduation or jobs along with CAT preparation then time management is highly important. Hence these steps shall help you do so.
- Preparation needs as much as time possible: At this stage, you must spend at least 5-6 hours in order to prepare well. Divide the allotted time systematically.
- Allot Equal Time For Each Section : Both the sections of CAT require equal time for preparation. Give Equal importance to both the sections. In case of sectional cut offs, it is necessary to clear the cut offs for each section individually while maximizing scores in areas where you are strong.
- Undergo Revisions, Sample Test and Analyse it : Revisions are the best testing method, hence allot the seven days of the week wisely. You can keep three days for revision. Make sure you cover all the areas of the two sections. You must at least have the basic knowledge of the important topics. In the rest of the days, you can alternately take mock tests (Sample Test) and analyse your performance. Try out for at least 2 mock test per week or more.
- Solve more number of questions : Use a stop watch to make the time management process more easier. Every time you practice a question, follow the timer and so as to optimize your performance still better than previous one. Take a mock test during three hours when you have scheduled your actual test. For instance : If you have chosen the morning
slot then take up the test at 10 AM.
Please note : 15 minutes tutorial will be provided before the start of the test, and candidates are advised to go through that carefully before starting the main examination. The total duration will be of 2 Hrs, 35 mins including the tutorial. A practice test to provide candidates with a feel of the timed sections, as well as navigation in the coming weeks.
Rough work should be done only on the sheet provided especially for that. Using any other source or papers are not encouraged.
Venue : At the test venue, each candidate will be seated at a desk with a computer terminal and he/she will be provided with a scratch paper for calculations. After the test, candidate must leave the scratch paper on the desk before leaving out.