Also available in: தமிழ் , ಕನ್ನಡ

PM Cracks Sibal's Deadlock On IIT-CET 2013. Why?

Posted By:

Sibal's IIT-CET 2013 Deadlock Cracked!
A Compromise formula proposed by the Prime Minister (PM) Manmohan Singh in order to break the deadlock between the HRD Minister Kapil Sibal and the IIT Faculties could shatter the dreams of thousands of students aspiring to get into IIT's.

Under the new scheme proposed by PM, only the top 20% students of the respective class XII board Exams will be allowed to take the proposed common engineering exam for the year 2013. Sibal, who had initially proposed to include normalization percentile scores of class XII Board exam plus scores of the JEE-Main Test while shortlisting candidates for the JEE- Advanced Test.

This allowed students with relatively lesser marks in board exams to make up for the IIT's by performing better in the screening test. This new proposal will be discussed by the faculty associations and IIT senates this week. Though the new proposal would counteract Sibal's sim of promoting students to pay equal attention to the board exams but would at the same time deprive rest of 80% students of even an opportunity to appear for IIT's.

Since, the IIT Faculty federation was hell bent over not considering the normalization percentile scores of class 12 for shortlisting the students for the JEE- Advanced Test, Sibal proposed to allow only top 20% students from each state board to appear for the screening test.

Well, up-to what extent can this idea work? Because the proposal to consider only top 20% students from each state board to take the screening test would rob remaining 80% from the chance of even trying for the IIT's even if they were to perform excellently in the exam.

When Board results are declared after IIT exam, then all students would anyway have to appear of the test even if they are declared ineligible later. Students scoring 80% in tougher boards such as CBSE may have to struggle to become eligible for appearing in the screening test. What in such case?

Do you strongly feel about the IIT-CET discussion held between HRD Ministry, PM and the IIT's? Then start sharing your views on the same.

Please Wait while comments are loading...

Thousands of Careerindia readers receive our evening newsletter.
Have you subscribed?