World Coconut Day is observed every September 2 worldwide since 2009. The day commemorates the formation of the Asian Pacific Coconut Community (APCC) in 1969. APCC was established to ensure sustained development of the coconut industry around the world under the aegis of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP).
All major coconut-growing countries including India are members of APCC. Its headquartered in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Coconut - considered to be one of the healthiest fruits in the world - are produced in more than 80 countries around the world. A rich source of electrolytes and lauric acid, coconuts contain many antioxidants and are antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral.
Top 10 largest producers of Coconut in the World
- Sri Lanka
- Papua New Guinea
World Coconut Day 2022 Theme
- The theme of World Coconut Day 2022 is "Growing Coconut for a Better Future and Life."
How World Coconut Day is celebrated?
- The day is marked by seminars and awareness campaigns, with many experts, cultivators and businessmen exchanging ideas on how to increase the production of, sales of, and profit from coconut.
- Events are organized to promote the usage and benefits of coconut around the world with the objective to help the industry grow.
Coconut Production in India
- India and the Philippines are locked in a see-saw battle to claim the 2nd largest coconut producer in the world tag.
- Sometimes India becomes 2nd, the other time it is the Philippines.
- The Indian government is serious about its coconut industry and that's why it instituted a statutory body under the ministry of agriculture named the Coconut Development Board (CDB).
How does India celebrate World Coconut Day 2022?
- CDB conducts various events in different parts of the country on World Coconut Day.
- During the occasion, national awards will be presented to those who have excelled in coconut farming, industry, and other coconut-related activities.
Major coconut producer states of India
- Coconuts are cultivated mainly in the states of West Bengal, Kerala, Karnataka, Odisha, Goa, Tamil Nadu, and Andhra Pradesh.
Uses And Benefits Of Coconut
- Coconut, coconut oil and coconut milk are major ingredients in many food recipes.
- It is said to reduce obesity and promote digestion.
- Coconut water has many health benefits and not to mention that it is one of the sought drinks of summer.
- Coconut leaves are used to make brooms, baskets, mats and much more.
- The coir from the coconut is natural elastic fibre which can be used to make ropes, strings, mats, stuffing for mattresses etc.
- Coconut shell and husk are a source of charcoal and can be used as fuel
- Coconut is one of the prime ingredients utilized in various cosmetic products
Some Points to Remember about The Coconut Tree
- The name "coconut" comes from the Portuguese word "coco," which means "head or skull," and is said to have originated somewhere in the Indo-Malayan area.
- Coconuts float effortlessly in the water.
- people burn coconut husks as it serves as a natural mosquito repellent.
- The coconut tree is CALLED "kalpavriksha," or "tree of heaven," in Sanskrit as it contains all chemicals required for survival.
Students looking for ideas to write 500 word essay on the World Coconut Day, you can take guidance from this article to complete your assignment.
Happy World Coconut Day 2022 !!