India's first indigenously-built aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant is expected to ensure peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific region. Here are some interesting facts about INS Vikrant.
1. INS Vikrant is the largest warship ever been built in India, and the first indigenously designed and built aircraft carrier for the Indian Navy.
2. Each of the MIG 29K aircraft stationed on INS Vikrant weighs as much as about two fully-grown African elephants.
3. There are 2,200 compartments constructed for a crew of approximately 1,600. The warship also has specialized cabins for women officers and sailors.
4. Vikrant can travel at a speed of around 28 knots and a cruising speed of 18 knots with an endurance of about 7,500 nautical miles.
5. INS Vikrant aircraft carrier is capable of generating enough electricity to power a small town
6. INS Vikrant has a total cabling length of 2,400 kms which equals the distance between Kochi and Delhi.
7. INS equipments has been made in 18 states and union territories including places like Ambala, Daman, Kolkata, Jalandhar, New Delhi, Pune etc.
8. The navy claims that 76% of material and equipment used in Vikrant - like 23,000 tonnes of warship grade steel, 2,500km of electrical cables and 150km of specialised pipes - was sourced domestically.
9. There is medical complex, comprising modular operation theatre and dental centre, specialised cabins for its women officers, emergency modular OT, major modular OT, ICU, CT scanner, physiotherapy clinic, laboratories, etc.
10. The INS Vikrant will be able to operate 30 aircrafts.