Parag Agrawal, 37, an Indian-origin tech executive, assumed charge as the new Twitter CEO on November 29 (Monday), after Jack Dorsey stepped down as the co-founder of the social media giant. With this, Parag Agrawal, has become the next big name, and counted among the Indian origin people to helm a tech giant after Sundar Pichai (Google), Satya Nadella (Microsoft), Arvind Krishna (IBM), Shantanu Narayen (Adobe) and Raghu Raghuram (VMWare) adding a feather to his cap.
But who is Parag Agrawal, who's surprised the world with his sudden elevation as the Twitter CEO? What is his academic and personal background? What are his professional credentials? A slew of intriguing questions have popped-up in our minds. So, here are a few quick facts about Parag Agrawal that will help us know him better.
Ten Facts About Parag Agrawal And Timeline
- Parag Agrawal was born in Mumbai (then Bombay) in 1983/84, and is an IIT Mumbai alumnus.
- The new Twitter CEO did his schools from the Atomic Energy Central School, Mumbai, and was a fellow student of the Indian playback singer Shreya Ghoshal.
- He secured 77th rank in the Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) held in the year 2000.
- Parag won the International Physics Olympiad held in Turkey in 2001 and was awarded a gold medal for the feat.
- He holds a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and Engineering (2005) from the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IIT Bombay).
- Parag Agrawal moved to the US in 2005, and obtained his MS Degree and Doctorate in Computer Science from the Stanford University.
- Prior to joining Twitter, Parag Agrawal, had a brief stint and held leadership positions at Microsoft, Yahoo and AT&T where he involved himself in research-driven work.
- Parag joined Twitter in 2011 in capacity as a distinguished software engineer and rose to the position of the chief technology officer (CTO) in 2017.
- Initially on joining the social media platform, Parag Agrawal, worked on ad-related products while gradually dabbling into the space of artificial intelligence. On assuming the role of CTO, he shifted his focused on scaling a cohesive machine learning and AI approach across Twitter's consumer and revenue product and infrastructure teams.
- Parag Agrawal assumed charge as the Twitter CEO on November 29 following the resignation of Jack Dorsey as the CEO of Twitter.
These are the top ten facts about Parag Agrawal, the new chief executive officer of social media and tech gaint Twitter.