What is Urban Planning?
Urban planning can be defined as a technical and political process concerned with the welfare of people, control of the use of land, design of the urban environment including transportation and communication networks, and protection and enhancement of the natural environment.
Urban development is societal development. Planning and managing the development of contemporary cities is one of the major societal challenges all over the world today.
Scope of Urban Planning:
There is a tremendous scope for the urban planning graduates. The programme is aimed at providing the students with a sound education in urban and regional planning.
As a career, planning offers a real opportunity to play a key role in shaping places and localities across the globe.
Career opportunities for Urban Planning graduates remain strong. These graduates would get jobs in public sector, private sector, real estate, service firms, social agencies, non-profit housing groups, international consulting companies and many more. Foreign countries like USA, Europe, Asia would definitely hire these graduates.
One can also pursue higher education like master's degree in urban planning and Ph.D in urban planning in foreign nations.
What are the job roles:
- Urban Planner
- Urban Designer
- Planning Advisor
- City Planner
- Planning Manager
Who can apply for this:
- Candidates who passed 10+2 examination in science discipline with Mathematics as one of the compulsory subjects, are eligible for this course.
- If candidates seeking Master's degree in Urban planning, he / she must have bachelor's degree in urban planning.
Top Colleges in India offering Urban Planning Course:
- Institute of Town Planners
- School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi
- Sir JJ College of Architecture, Mumbai
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
- Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal
Top Universities abroad offer Urban Planning course:
- University of Southern California
- University of Pennsylvania
- Harvard University
- Rutgers University
- Cornell University