Paint technology is a sub-branch of Chemical Technology.It is a very niche branch of engineering under the Chemical Engineering and hence the course is seen to be offered by few institutes in India.
Here is the course which gives you the glimpse of paint technology.
What is paint technology?
Paint technology is a sub-branch of Chemical Technology.It is a very niche branch of engineering under the Chemical Engineering. Some of the main areas of Paint Technology include oil and paint media, paint application etc.
What do you study in paint technology?
- Paint technology is a course of study in which one studies about various ingredients used in the making of paint- raisins, polymers, pigments etc.
- Paint technology has a holistic approach to understanding the chemistry of the functions of each of each ingredient going into the paint and the effect on the final property of the paint.
- We study about the different kinds of paints, their manufacturing, the use of various kinds of paints and the techniques used for the application of paints.
What are the core subjects of this program?
The core subjects of this program are as follows:
- Composition Characterization and Production of Lipids.
- Oil Characterization.
- Expression and Extraction Techniques of Oil Bearing Materials.
- Process Economics, Utilities and by- products of Oil Industry.
- Refining of oils.
- Hydrogenation and Modification of oils.
- The minimum requirement for a candidate to get admission for B.Tech in Paint Technology is 10+2 or its equivalent with science.
- You can opt for M.Tech after B.Tech. Paint technology courses are also offered as a subject/ paper in chemical engineering by most institutes.
What are the topics covered?
The course covers technology of oils, resins, polymers, pigments and dyes, organic solvents, paint additives, powder coatings, high solids coating, electro - coatings and other paint application techniques.
Job prospects and career option:
- The paint industry is a booming sector which is mainly dependent on automobile and real estate industry.
- A paint technologist is required in different domains of the paint industry.
What is the job profile of paint technologists?
They can find work in any of the following departments of paint manufacturing companies: research and development, quality assurance, production, marketing and as technical assistants/ executives who work on clients sites.
Post Graduate Program in Paint And Coating Technology- Institute Of Cheminformatics Study.
- Salary in this sector depends on the employer and experience one has in the field.
- Beginner in this field can expect a salary of Rs. 1,25000/- to Rs. 2,00000/- per annum.
- Salary is really lucrative if one get placed with reputed brands.
- After gaining experience one can advance to a senior level where salary gets better.
Where to learn paint technology in India?
- B.Tech. Paint Technology- Institute Of Chemical Technology
- Diploma in Paint Application Technology- Garware Institute Of Career Education& Development
- M.Tech. Paint Technology- Laxminarayan Institute Of Technology, Nagpur
- Paint and Varnish Technology- Industrial Research Laboratory, Kolkata
- B.Tech. Surface Coating Technology- Laxminarayan Institute Of Technology, Nagpur
- Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT), Mumbai.
- M.Tech. Surface Coating Technology- Institute Of Chemical Technology (ICT), Mumbai ( Maharashtra)
- Asian PPG
- Reliance Industries
- Oil India
- Shalimar Industries
- Asian Paints India Ltd.
- Jenson and Nicholson
- Berger Paints India Ltd.
- Nerolac Paints Ltd.
This interesting career will help you learn the art of paint and various other processing that goes into the technology of paint making.