What is Mechatronics?
Mechatronics is a field of engineering that includes study with a combination of various engineering disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, telecommunication, control and computer engineering.
The aim of mechatronics is a design process that unifies all the above disciplines of engineering.
Mechatronics industry employs both engineers to design and develop equipments and technicians to maintain it.
Career Options in Mechatronics
- The profession of mechatronics includes technicians and engineers. They design and maintain automated equipment.
- Technicians and engineers work in laboratories, offices or on-site manufacturing plants.
- The goal is to produce safe and efficient automated equipment.
- Technicians primarily maintain machinery, while engineers are more concerned with design and development of components and products.
Job description of a Mechatronics Engineer
- A Mechatronics engineer unites the principles of engineering disciplines like mechanics, electronics, and computing to generate a simpler, more economical and reliable system.
- Mechatronics engineer needs at least a bachelor's degree to obtain entry-level position.
- The process of mechatronics engineering involves designing, assembling, testing, and evaluating components and products.
Job description of a Mechatronics Technician
- Mechatronics technicians need an associate's degree to obtian entry-level position in the field.
- Mechatronics technicians apply their knowledge of engineering to solve technical problems and maintain automated mechanical equipment.
- A job of a mechatronics technician includes inspecting, troubleshooting and repairing electrical and electronic components.
Education Information for Mechatronics
Associate degree in mechatronics/Associate of Applied Science in Mechatronics
- An associate degree in mechatronics is a 2 year degree programme, it prepares students for entry-level programmes.
- The programmes primarily focuses on practical application.
Bachelor degree in mechatronics/Bachelor of Science in Mechatronics
- A bachelore's degree programme in mechatronics is a 4 year course.
- Students are usually required to complete mechatronic engineering design project to graduate from this programme.
Master's degree in mechatronics/Master of Science in Mechatronics
- A master's degree in mechatronics offers students an opportunity to work in management and research programmes.
- This course focuses on research and methodology in mechatronics along with practical training in the field.
Scope for Mechatronics Engineering in India
- Though there is no specific data to track employment for mechatronics professionals, in the recent years there has been increasing demand for mechatronics professionals.
- About 5% growth in terms of employment in comparison to electrical engineers.
- The median salary can be around $82,100.
Top Colleges for Mechatronics Engineering in India
- SRM University - Department of Mechatronics Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering, Anna University
- Amity School of Engineering and Technology
- Lovely Professional University
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
Top Colleges Abroad offering Mechatronics Engineering
- University of Liverpool, UK
- University of Hartford, USA
- University of the West of Scotland, UK
- Vaughn College of Aeronautics And Technology, USA
- University of Sheffield, UK
- Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, USA