Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that essentially deals with the engineering of chemicals to identify and solve technical glitches.
Chemical engineering is concerned with processes that convert raw materials or chemicals into useful valuable forms.
What does a Chemical Engineer do?
The duties of a chemical engineer are as follows: a chemical engineer -
- conducts research to develop an improved manufacturing process.
- provides safety measures for those working with dangerous chemicals.
- works on making products like food, and drinks.
- helps in managing world's resources.
- protect the environment by providing health and safety standards.
Depending upon the sectors they fall into, chemical engineers -
- design and invent new processes and products.
- construct instrument and facilities.
- plan and operate facilities.
They aim to make processes cost effective, eco-friendly and efficient.
Work Environment of a Chemical Engineer/Scope and Career Opportunities for Chemical Engineers
Chemical engineers work in offices as well as laboratories. They find employment at industrial plants, refineries and locations where they monitor or direct chemical operations. They usually work with design professional and technicians or work on-site.
The industries that employ chemical engineers are as follows:
- Architectural, engineering, and related services
- Basic chemical manufacturing
- Scientific research and development services
- Resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial synthetic fibers and filaments manufacturing
- Petroleum and coal products manufacturing
- Biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies
- Business services
- Health-care industries
- Food Manufacturing unites
- Electronics and Energy manufacturers
How to become a Chemical Engineer?/Education
Chemical engineers must have a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering. The programme is a 4 year course.
- Some universities offer an integrated programme for 5 years that includes both a bachelor's and a master's degree.
- Interested candidates can also do research and obtain a Ph.D in the concerned field.
- As employers value practical experience, a cooperative programme for structured job experience is valuable.
Job Outlook and Pay Scale of a Chemical Engineer
- Employment of chemical engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2012 to 2022, slower than the average for all occupations.
- According to the US Department of Labor, the median annual salary for a chemical engineer was $78,860. The middle 80 percent of chemical engineers made $50,060 to $118,670 annually.
- The average annual starting salary for a UK chemical engineering graduate is £28,000.
- The salaries of chemical engineers in India are very lucrative. Freshers can expect an average salary of Rs. 25,000 per month to Rs. 30,000 per month.
Top Colleges in India for Chemical Engineering
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Madras
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, BITS-Pilani
Top Chemical Engineering Colleges in the World
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
- University of California, Berkeley (UCB), USA
- Stanford University, USA
- University of Cambridge, UK
- National University of Singapore (NUS)