Who doesn't love playing games? Most of us love playing games and spend hours, be it on our phone, computer or video. We get easily addicted to games but does anyone think of the efforts behind the making of the games.
As we know Gaming is one of the largest segment of the entertainment industry and is considered the hottest profession widely across the world. It is a demanding career in today's modern world. With the wide access to the internet has created a humongous demand for online games and with the advent of technology, this industry is growing at fast pace. So a plethora of career options is available for aspirants from artists to musicians to sound engineers to programmers in this field.
So, thinking about a career in the gaming industry:
A career in Gaming Industry is exciting but a strikingly competitive field with a combination of creativity, technology, and fun. It is always an interesting and unique career for those who are passionate about gaming and commit their lives to creating new and improved games.
So creating a new game is not an easy task, as the competition rate is high and the game industry is changing on a daily basis while more and more games are invented.
There are zillion opportunities available in the gaming industry has it is a happening career for youngsters. And, for those who want to be a part of the exciting of creating a new video but it is done by a team of skilled individuals and their work profile vary according to their designations. Candidates securing a job in the Gaming industry must have a knowledge of designing, programming, fine arts, software development, and framing.
- The minimum eligibility required for most of these courses is 10+2 or its equivalent.
- Relevant educational qualification in the fields of animation, graphic designing, game designing/ technology etc. is necessary for obtaining an excellent career in the gaming industry.
- Those interested in pursuing a career in gaming industry should focus on gaining knowledge with computer programming in an object-oriented language such as C++ or Java, from their high school level, so that they can build a bright future for themselves.
- Several certificates and diploma programs in game designing are offered by various institutions.
- For becoming a Game programmer, one should have B.E/ B.Tech degree in computer engineering.
- Online courses are also available in game design and animation. Those with have an innate desire to learn gaming and excellent technical skills can excel in this field.
The personal attributes needed to excel in the gaming industry:
- The first and foremost thing needed for an individual to become an expert professional in the gaming industry is the strong interest and liking for the game.
- Candidates wanting to make a career in game designing must be aware of software, creative and understand the game play theory.
- Time management is also an important characteristic needed for a game designer.
Career options in the gaming industry:
Developing and designing all these types of games is a step by step process, where the variety of tasks are performed.
Some of the common job prospects in the gaming industry are:
- Game Developer
- Game Designers
- Game Artists
- Game Programmers
- Network Programmer
- Game/ Script Writers
- Audio/ Sound Engineers
- Game Testers
- Game Management
In the gaming industry, one can secure a job in small or large organizations. Online game designers may work as freelancers.
- The gaming industry is one of the highly paid profession. The pay scale and growth in this industry depends on how well one can conceptualize and develop the program. As a trainee, one is generally paid around Rs 7,000/- to 10,000/- per month. Within a short span of time, depending on the work, it may vary from anywhere between Rs.30,000/- to 70,000/- per month.
- The remuneration of those who are working as freelancers depends on who you work for and can earn an awesome amount for a project.
Institutes offering gaming courses:
Top 5 institutes in India:
- Asian Institute of Gaming and Animation, Bangalore
- Global Institute of Gaming and Animation - GIGA C
- Eden Animation & Gaming Academy, Bikaner
- Academy of Animation and Gaming (AAG) Gurgaon
- IIFA Multimedia (Institute for Interior Fashion and Animation)
Top 5 institutes in abroad:
- University of South Wales
- Anglia Ruskin University
- London South Bank University
- Plymouth University
- Glasgow Caledonian University