What is Fire Engineering?
Fire engineering is one of the toughest and demanding fields which deals with the prevention of fire. It is a dangerous profession which requires a strong sense of commitment to public services. It deals with prevention and protection of all living beings and buildings from the fire outbreak.
What does a Fire Engineer do?
A fire engineer has to adapt to changes as quickly as possible.Fire engineering also deals with reducing the causality which happens on a day to day basis by providing safety measure and increasing the parameters of the standard of living. It helps one understands the phenomena of fire and the effect of it.
What are the skills required to be a fire engineer?
Personal skills needed for a fire engineer is:
- Good communication skills
- Organisational ability
- Skills in evaluating situations
- Making quick decisions and solving problems.
- Leadership quality and working as a team member at the same time.
- Other qualities include both physical agility and mental skills to tackle problems under any circumstances.
Educational qualification For Fire Engineering?
- Eligibility criteria for BE in Fire Engineering are BSc with Chemistry and either Physics or Mathematics or both as optional subjects.
- Age limit for joining BE is between 19 to 24.
- Eligibility criteria for certificate and diploma courses in fire engineering are 10 + 2 with Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry or its equivalent examination.
Apart from the educational qualification, the candidate should possess some specified physical qualification:
- Should be physically fit and free from organic disease to undergo practical training. Minimum acceptable physical standards for the Fire Engineering course are Height: Minimum 165 cm, Weight: 50 kgs. Chest measurement: 81 centimeters, with five-centimeter expansion, Vision: 6/6, Preferably without any aid.
Job prospects in Fire Engineering:
- Engineers of this field can go in any sector either government or private according to their interest and choices.
- They can also get employed in other industries such as chemical or inflammable products manufacturing firms like petroleum refineries, textiles, fertilizers, etc.
- The scope is very vast in the field of manufacturing, chemicals, handling bottling plants. Fire engineers may also work as surveyors in insurance companies.
Top Institutes to study Fire Engineering:
- Orissa Institute of Fire Engineering and Safety Management
- National Academy Of Fire And Safety Engineering, Maharashtra
- Delhi Institute of Fire Engineering, Delhi
- Institute of Fire & Safety Engineering
- Best Institute of Fire & Safety Management Training India, Uttarakhand
- Institute of Fire Engineering & Safety Management, Telangana
- International Institute of Industrial Safety Management, Nagharbhavi, Bengaluru
- National Centre for Professional Training, Kerala
- Hyderabad Institute of Fire Engineering
- Institute of Fire & Safety Engineering, Mangalore
- University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, Mumbai
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
- University of Technology & Management, Kolkata
Top International Institutes to study Fire Engineering:
- University of Central Lancashire
- Lawrence Technological University
- California State University Of North Ridge
- California University of Los Angeles
- Eastern Kentucky University
- Oklahoma State University
- University of Cincinnati
What are the job titles under Fire Engineering?
- Design Director
- Fire prevention research engineer
- Fire protection engineer
- Loss control manager
Fire & Safety Engineer pay scale:
The average pay is Rs 264,932 per year. Opportunities for getting a job in the industry, office complexes, or other private sector establishments generally exist after a few years of experience.
Also read: Top 5 Unique Career Options in Engineering