Government Law College, Coimbatore was started its academic session from August 1979 onwards and at present, the college is affiliated to the Tamilnadu Dr. Ambedkar Law University, Chennai from the academic year 1997-1998.
As the demand for admission to the law course was increasing and the existing two law colleges were already over crowded, the Government felt the need for opening more number of law colleges in different centres of the State.
The proposal for opening two more law colleges, one at the industrial city (Coimbatore) and the other at the rock city (Tiruchirappally) to serve the interests of the people of western and central parts of the state respectively, was submitted to the Government by the, then Director of Legal Studies, Prof.S.Master Sankaran M.L.., and the same was approved by the Government of Tamilnadu in G.O. Ms. No.1407 Edn., dated 02.08.1979. Prod.T. Audiseshan of Madras Law College was deputed as special officer for establishing the law college at Coimbatore.
Presently the college is housed in its own campus at Marudamalai, adjacent to the Bharathiar University. The new buildings of the Govt. law college were built at a cost exceeding rupees one crore.
The present campus has a total area of 20.12 acres. Built in lush green mountainous, airy, clean and calm atmosphere at the foot hills of the western ghats, the campus is ideally suitable for one who wants to pursue legal education. Adjacent to the College, two hostels for men & women students have also been constructed.
|Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Legislative Law (Honors)||Full Time||5 Years||10+2|
|Bachelor of Law (Legislative Law)||Full Time||3 / 5 Years||Bachelor's degree|
|Master of Laws||Full Time||2 Years||LLB / As Per CLAT Rule|