Study in Germany: Student Visa Guide For International Students

Student Visa for Germany

Students who are getting enrolled in the German universities have to fulfill the visa requirements, which is utmost important to stay in the country. Documents and papers to procure visa depends mainly on how long one will stay in Germany. Initially, visa is granted for a period of three months. Extension will also be given for one year at a time till the end of the course by the authorities in Germany. Overseas students are expected to leave the country after the completion of the course.

Study in Germany: Student Visa Guide


How to procure Germany Student Visa?

Visa application rules are as follows for EU and other country students:

  • The requirements to get a student visa for Germany depend on your country of origin.
  • Applicants from the EU (and Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein): European Union do not need a visa to study in Germany.
  • Within a week of your arrival you must register with the Einwohnermeldeamt or Bürgeramt (registration authority) in your city. You'll need your registration document from your university for this.
  • If required, the Foreigners Authority (Ausländerbehörde) will issue a Freedom of Movement certificate for EU-citizens.
  • You will need to prove you have or will have enough money (see above) and have purchased statutory health insurance if you're under 30.
  • Certain countries have bilateral agreements with Germany, which mean insurance policies in the student's home country will be applicable in Germany.
  • You need to prove your proficiency in your course's language of instruction.

Also Read: Study in Germany: The Hub of Ample Opportunities

Applicants from outside the EU: Globe

  • If the applicant belonged to the following countries: Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Switzerland or the US, he/she does not need a visa to enter the country, but will require to register at the local Residents' Registration Office and the Aliens' Registration Office (Ausländeramt) to obtain a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis).
  • If you are from Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco, San Marino or Taiwan you will only need a student visa for Germany if you want to work before or after your degree. You will need to apply for a residence permit.
  • If the applicant is from any other country, he/she has to obtain a visa from the nearest German embassy before entering Germany. Make sure that one should apply for a National Visa for the purpose of study rather than a Schengen Visa, which will only allow you to stay in Germany for three months.
  • To get a residence permit you will need to present confirmation that you have registered at the Residents' Registration Office, proof that you have health cover (your university will help with this), proof of your financial means (see above), your passport (with visa if you need one) and a tenancy agreement which shows you have found somewhere to live. It will be valid for two years, after which you must get it renewed.
  • To obtain a visa, one needs to present the same list of documents as for a residence permit and you also should have to submit proof that you don't have a criminal record and are free of certain diseases. The specific list will depend on the embassy.
  • The same language requirements apply as specified in the requirements for EU students. You may also need to produce this evidence at the visa stage.

For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

Select a Field of Study
Select a Course
Select UPSC Exam
Select IBPS Exam
Select Entrance Exam
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X