The University Grants Commission (UGC) has announced a Scholarship for students pursuing postgraduation and the online application for the same is also being accepted. According to the University Grants Commission, the scheme was created to address the social backgrounds of candidates from the poorer sections of society and to provide them with the opportunity to pursue postgraduate studies in professional subjects such as engineering and technology, management, pharmacy, and other related fields at Indian universities, institutions, or colleges.
The UGC scholarship will be awarded to about 1000 students from scheduled castes and scheduled tribes, and candidates chosen for PG scholarships under ME or MTech will get a monthly stipend of Rs 7800 for the term of the PG scholarship. For other courses, however, the scholarship amount would be Rs.4500 per month. During the year of selection, the scholarship will be provided to the awardee from the date of enrollment in the postgraduate first-year course.
UGC Scholarship: Important Information
Before submitting applications on the National Scholarship Portal, students interested in applying should review the following important information:
- The candidates must take admissions in accredited universities, institutes, or colleges.
- Degrees in MA, MSc, MCom, MSW, and Mass Communication and Journalism will be considered as "non-professional courses."
- Candidates who are taking a postgraduate degree in a professional subject via correspondence or distance education are not eligible for financial aid under this programme.
- According to the notification, the award is for two or three years, depending on the duration of the postgraduate degree, and not for a longer term of study.
- The sum of the UGC scholarship will be distributed to selected students via Direct Bank Transfer (DBT).
- If students do not get promoted to the next class or level, the scholarship will be forfeited.
UGC Scholarship: How To Apply
- Interested students who meet the qualifying requirements must apply online through the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) by November 30, 2021.
- Defective and institution verification will be available until December 15, 2021. The candidate's online application must be verified by the host institution where he or she is enrolled.