One among the foremost institutes of national importance in higher technological education, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, has launched the world's first online BSc Degree program in Programming and Data Science. The unique online course was launched on June 30 in the presence of the Union Human Resource Development Minister Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank', Hon'ble Minister of State (HRD), Sanjay Dhotre, and other esteemed guests. Candidates who are aspiring for a career in Programming and Data Science can register for online BSc Degree program until September 15, 2020.
BSc Degree In Programming And Data Science
IIT Madras has launched the online program to produce graduates who will be employable in the sector that presently has high demand - Programming and Data Science. This degree program uses an innovative combination of online learning and in-person assessment and is flexible and affordable. Follow the link for course details - https://www.onlinedegree.iitm.ac.in/index.html
Students can pursue the course as a second degree by someone currently in college. Anyone who has dropped out of / completed their Bachelor's Degree may apply. There is no age or stream or geographical restrictions.
What Is Being Offered?
- Diploma in Programming
- Diploma in Data Science
- BSc Degree in Programming and Data Science
Structure of the Program
The program is split into three levels.
1: Foundational Level (8 courses)
2: Diploma Level (6 Programming courses + 6 Data Science courses)
3: Degree Level (11 courses)
- Foundational Level (32 credits) - Rs 32,000
- Diploma Level (44 credits) - Rs 1,10,000
- Diploma Level (40 credits) - Rs 1,00,000
- Date to be announced shortly - Applications Open (Regular Entry)
- 15th September 2020 tentatively - Applications Close (Regular Entry)*
- 5th October 2020 - Weekly release of Term 1 Qualifier courses content starts
- 2nd November 2020 - Qualifier Exam Hall Ticket (only for those who get minimum required marks in Assignments)
- 20th / 21st / 22nd November, 2020 - Qualifier Exam (only for those with Hall Ticket)
- 7th December, 2020 - Qualifier Exam Results
- 11th December, 2020 to 3rd January 2021 - Registration for Term 1 (only for those who clear Qualifier Exam)
- 4th January, 2021 - Foundational Level Batch 1 starts
While launching the course, HRD Minister Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank' said, "Would like to congratulate @iitmadras on the launch of this first of its kind online BSc Degree. This will be very beneficial for India's youth."
Prof. Bhaskar Ramamurthi, Director, IIT Madras, said, "The program uses an innovative combination of online learning and in-person assessment and is flexible and affordable."