The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has invited applications from Engineers to register for a free online course on Wireless and Cellular Communications on the NPTEL platform. It is a 12-week long course and is intended for engineers who are pursuing or have completed electrical, communications, and signal processing, or electronics and communications engineering. The participants must have knowledge of analog and digital communications and digital signal processing in order to take the course.
Sanjay Dhotre, Minister of State for Education, Communications, Electronics and IT, Government of India, described the course as "An incredible opportunity for engineering students who have completed the Digital Communications course." The course will be directed by Professor R David Koilpillai, who is presently the Faculty Coordinator of the IIT Madras SAT Student Satellite initiative.
IIT Madras Free Online Course Topics
The course aims at the wireless channel and related disadvantages, small-scale and large-scale propagation effects, understanding of the structure of cellular systems, a detailed discussion of multiple inputs, antenna variation, MIMO, and wireless channel capability among various topics through the following modules:
- Overview of Cellular Systems and Evolution 2G, 3G, 4G or 5G.
- Cellular Concepts: Frequency reuse, Cochannel and Adjacent Channel Interference, C/I, Handoff, Blocking, or Erlang Capacity.
- Wireless Propagation: Link budget, Free-space path loss, Noise figure of receiver, Multipath fading, Shadowing, Fading margin, and Shadowing margin.
- Antenna Diversity.
- Wireless Channel Capacity.
- OFDM and LTE.
- Large Scale Propagation Effects and Channel Models.
This course will begin from 26 July 2021 to 15 October 2021, and the last date to register for the course is 02 August 2021. Ph.D. students who have completed BE, BTech, ME, MTech, or Digital Communication can apply for IIT Madras free online course on Wireless And Cellular Communications by clicking on the "Join" icon on the NPTEL platform.