Students these days know what they must be doing to have a better and a secure future. They no longer require parents to spoon-feed them with things like, which course to take up, what to do after class 10/12/undergraduate/postgraduate studies, which programme gives a better learning opportunity and of course a better salary in the long run.
We see students who are yet to complete their current semesters applying for the next-in-line graduate programmes. The race had started several years ago, and now it seems to have reached a whole new level.
The most popular higher education destination among students is USA.
- USA is a land of opportunities.
- Students can opt for part-time jobs while they study (not the case at some other nations)
- After graduation students can work in the country for another 3 years (5 years of visa validity).
- Lots of scholarships and fellowship opportunities.
- USA has more than 4,500 universities to choose from.
- Some of the best degrees in the world are being offered by the American universities.
- A fun and secure nation to study at.
- Any course you pick is valued- be it Bio-Medicine or Fine Arts and they are given equal importance.
Here are things you must not forget in a hurry....
- Everything begins with an aim. Now that you have decided to go to the USA for higher education, you must do so, by first deciding the course.
- There are a wide variety of courses available, some of which you might not even have heard of.
- Mostly for undergraduate studies, students opt for standard courses like Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering etc.
- For graduate studies, ie. MS for technology stream, students again opt for standard courses like the ones mentioned above, along with courses like Applied Mathematics, Nanotechnology, Forensic Science, Chemical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Speech Language Pathology etc.
Course's worth matthers:
- You must keep in mind that your degree must do justice to you. You must pick the course wisely. You should finalize on a particular course not only because it is popular and you are excellent at that, but also because the package you will be getting after course completion would be substantial.
- A US degree is not cheap for many Indian families. Hence, you must be sure to apply for a course which will be worth it.
- Many students theses days are opting for Chemical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering as it has a good package for a salary. Mathematics and Computer Science too are hot favourites followed by Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mechanical etc. which give packages that are good enough to please.
Tuition fee must be bearable. At the end of all this you must not regret that it was too steep for your pockets. A research about affordable universities offering the course you want to study is important. Further, you must see to it that the university has good funding and fellowships opportunists. Also, look into the placement activities and the companies which visit the university, the location of the university, as you must not end up struggling in extreme conditions of weather. Indians are prone to only moderate temperatures and adjusting will become a little difficult. So be sure to know the weather conditions.
Good GRE/TOEFL/IELTS/GMAT scores matter:
For technical courses, although a few universities don't require you to take GRE, you will still be required to take TOEFL/ IELTS or other equivalent exams when you are applying to USA (or any English speaking nations).
For MBA courses, GMAT is a must along with an English testing exam like the ones mentioned above.
Advantages of taking up GRE would be that it will come in handy if you wish to transfer from one university to another, or while the university has to consider you for a scholarship.
There are 3 periods in a year where you can apply:
- Fall (Classes begin in August)
- Spring (Classes being in during mid January)
- Summer (Classes being around May)
Students choose Fall semester usually for the advantages it gives over others. It really doesn't matter if you choose Fall or Spring. According to some learned people both have the same thing to offer.
- Once you have decided for which semester you would like to go, book a slot for GRE/GMAT and TOEFL/IELTS well in advance. The official scores require some six weeks time (maximum) to be available to you. You are required to send this to the universities.
- Further, also note the deadlines of university application. Plan things out.
- Before you do anything, keep your passports ready. Without this, you will not be allowed to take the tests and this will result in the whole process being delayed.
Finally, give the test, score well, apply, send the documents required (each university will mention what documents they need. Check the FAQ section in the universities' official websites for which you apply or click here to know about the documents required to apply to US univesities), send the bank statement, get the i20, take the loan (if not required then it's great) and fly your way to realise your dreams!