President Pranab Mukherjee today addressed both houses of Parliament, marking the beginning of the Union Budget 2016 session.
During the address president said "My Government is pledged to work for the welfare of the poor, the marginalized and the vulnerable sections of the society."
Speaking about the emphasis laid on education president said, " Education has been the utmost priority of my government. It aims to create a Shikshit Swasth Swachh Bharat, an educated, healthy and clean India."
CareerIndia provides highlights from the President's speech pertaining to education:
- 'Padhe Bharat Badhe Bharat' has been launched by the government, aims at improving foundational learning outcomes.
- An initiative to map the entire country on a GIS platform to identify habitations without schools, has been taken.
- Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya National Mission on Teachers and Teacher Training has also been launched to empower and increase the capacity of teachers.
- The Rashtriya Avishkar Abhiyan has been taken up to inculcate scientific temper among students and to ensure access to education in the remotest areas
- While Ishan Vikas and Ishan Uday schemes have been launched for the welfare of North-Eastern regions students.
- National Sports Talent Search Scheme has been formulated to encourage sporting talent amongst children in the age group of 8 to 12 through National Sports Development Fund and Target Olympic Podium.
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship with the theme "Hunar hai to Kalyan hai" has been designed to tap the youth, the largest population in India. The programme helps in bridging the demand-supply gap in skilled workforce.
- "National Policy for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship" mainly aims to align skilling initiatives with global standards.
- Focus will also be laid on the youth from deprived households in rural areas. Public-Private Partnership is being encouraged to create skill development models and channelize CSR funds into skilling activities.
- Through IMPRINT India programme the government has given impetus to research
- National Scholarship Portal has been instituted to provide one-stop platform for applications for all scholarships
- National Institutional Ranking Framework has been launched to accord ranks for higher educational institutions
- SATYAM initiative has been developed to explore the modern scientific roots of our traditional wisdom