Prime Minister Narendra Modi, addressing the nation this morning, announced extension of a nationwide lockdown till May 3, 2020 in containing the spread of COVID-19 or Novel Coronavirus pandemic and called for ensuring stricter implementation of the countrywide lockdown in a resolve to save India from the clutches of the dreaded virus.
Stating that a majority of States and its Chief Ministers had favored extension of lockdown in tackling the COVID-19 spread, the Prime Minister also hinted at granting conditional relief for states, regions and towns that show improvement and progress in mitigating the pandemic following a close monitoring till April 20 to be categorised as "No Hotspot' zones.
The Prime Minister, invoking Dr. B.R Ambedkar on his 129th birth anniversary, on the occasion, said "People have been going through a lot of hardships to save India. I know you faced many difficulties. I respectfully bow to the people of India for their sacrifice. This collective strength of ours is a true tribute to B. R. Ambedkar on his birth anniversary."
Seeking people's cooperation in ensuring a successful a lockdown, PM Modi stressed on resorting to 'Seven Step' solution in fight against Coronavirus.
- Take a special care of the elderly in family and senior citizens
- Maintain "social distancing" while adhering to the lockdown rules
- Reach out to the needy and poor families
- Industries, companies must be empathetic towards its employees and not resort to lay-offs
- Express gratitude to the healthcare personnel, police and other front-line warriors
- Boost immunity by following Ayush Ministry guidelines
- For the latest updates, download Arogyasetu Mobile app
The 21-day nationwide lockdown that was scheduled to end on April 14, 2020, was extended till May 3, 2020 by PM Modi, even as the number of COVID-19 cases in India surged to 10,000 plus with 360 deaths, as per the official data.
Check out PM Modi's address to the nation on extended lockdown2 here