The Central Government approved the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020. It will be replacing the 34-year-old National Policy on Education. The policy has emphasized mother tongue or local language as the medium of instructions till Grade 5 in all schools across the country. Explore some important points regarding promoting of mother tongue or regional language in new National Education Policy 2020.
As per new NEP 2020, "Mother tongue/ local language/ regional language as the medium of instruction at least till Grade 5, but preferably till Grade 8 and beyond. Sanskrit to be offered at all levels of school and higher education as an option for students, including in the three-language formula."
NEP 2020 Medium Of Instructions - Important Points
- Mother tongue or regional language will be the medium of instruction till Class 5.
- Sanskrit will be offered at all levels of schools as an option for students.
- One should note that no language will be imposed on any student.
- Students will participate in a fun project/activity on 'The Languages of India', sometime in Grades 6-8, such as, under the 'Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat' initiative.
- Foreign languages will also be offered at the secondary level
- The government is also trying to standardize the Indian Sign Language (ISL) across the country.
- Mother tongue or local language will be used as a medium of instructions in more HEI programmes.