IIT-Kharagpur is launching the first batch of MBBS programs in its medical college by 2020-21 after its medical hospital starts operation three years earlier.
More about the Medical college:
- "The first phase of construction of Dr. B C Roy Institute of Medical Science & Research will get over by June this year and we are working towards making the hospital operational from 2018," IIG-KGP Deputy Director Prof Sriman Kumar Bhattacharyya said today.
- "Then, as per regulation, we can start offering MBBS program in another three-year time in 2020-21," said Bhattacharyya, in-charge of setting up the Medical College.
- In the first phase of construction, the hospital and ancillary building were getting ready, while in the second phase, residential towers for doctors, students and support staff will be undertaken, he said.
- The B C Roy Institute of Medical Science & Research is coming up in Balarampur area adjoining IIT-KGP campus on an 18-acre land.
About healthcare facilities:
- The Union HRD ministry has allowed IIT-KGP to start the hospital with 400 beds and has sanctioned Rs 150 crore.
- As per the plan, the hospital would later have 750 beds, he said adding that the project would cost around Rs 230 crore and there were plans to raise the rest of the funds through donations.
- Bhattacharyya said, "We will be collating details of the patients by videographer and with their permission can disseminate it to a doctor abroad. So if a patient wants to seek the opinion of a doctor in the US, he/ she can easily do it."
- Currently, the institute is busy procuring equipment for cardiology, neurology, orthopedics, diagnostics, pathology and Out-Patients Department.
- IIT-KGP is also in the process of setting up a society to run the hospital and the medical college.
- "As per the rule, IITs cannot offer medical courses. So this project will work as a special purpose vehicle. We will not run it directly but create a registered society. IIT-KGP will sign a MoU with the society so that functioning of the hospital can be in sync with IIT system," he said.
- IIT-KGP is ensuring that the hospital is run on no-profit-no-loss mode.
- IIT-KGP has been running the School of Medical Science and Technology from 2001.
Also read: India's Top 10 Colleges Released By MHRD
For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts
For great career opportunity, get instant updates on Education, Career & Job
You have already subscribed