Recently, UGC noticed that complaints on ragging were increased. Hence, the commission has come up with few rules and regulations to overcome this issue in the future.
According to UGC, ragging accounts to abetment to ragging, criminal conspiracy to rag, unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging, public nuisance created during ragging, violation of decency and morals through ragging, injury to the body causing hurt or grievous hurt, wrongful constraint or confinement, use of criminal force, assault as well as sexual or unnatural offences, extortion, criminal trespass, offences against property, criminal intimidation, physical or psychological humiliation.
What are the Punishments, if caught?
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges,
- Deprived of scholarship/fellowship and other benefits,
- Denied results as it could be withheld,
- Expelled from the hostel and admission gets cancelled,
- Debarred from representing the university in any event,
- Rusticated from the institute from 1-4 semesters,
- Expelled from the institute,
- Debarred from taking admission in any other institute,
- Imposed upon fine of Rs 25,000 to Rs 1 lakh or
- Put to collective punishment.
UGC's suggestion to prevent ragging?
- The institutions have to put up hoardings, posters and banners in prominent places on campus to exhort the students to prevent or not to indulge in ragging.
- This may also carry names of the officials and their details to be contacted in case of ragging. An anti-ragging committee and squads should be formed in all educational institutions.
- Besides, a cadre of wardens and professional counselors should be there to ensure that the directions of SC are followed without exception.
- An affidavit must be obtained from every student, parent or guardian separately.
- To spread awareness, the institutions may also undertake other forms of the campaign which are considered appropriate for prevention of ragging. Further, UGC has also uploaded a film on anti-ragging on its website.
UGC HELPLINE: 1800-180-5522