Fashion is a booming industry. Every now and then a new trend gets picked up. These trends are materialized by designers who are visionaries are they carve beauty out of clothes.
Fashion is above and beyond just people walking on ramps with branded clothes on,. It takes many years to build ones career and many sleepless nights to form the kind of brand that everyone is looking for in the industry. Fashion industry is the lifeline of many humans around the world.
That being said, we need to acknowledge the presence of one such sub- group in the fashion world, who have provided us with the most basic element in the world of fashion, the textile designers.
Who are Textile Designers?
Textile designers are professionals who create the and designing the textile that is used as a product, for making apparels, and many other products like shoes, bracelets etc.
It is very different from fashion designing, as in former the functional value of th product is focused on than just the aesthetics.
Textile designers are into designing of the fabric, yarns by different processes like weaving and knitting etc. It thus deals with the technical and fundamental aspect of the fashion world.
How to get into the field of Textile Designing?
The first thing you need to check off the list if mere passion for fabric and everything that belong in that zone. You need to have a creative outlook on things and will need to have an inutuion with what color goes with what shape and the texture of the fabric or yarn as well.
Obviously it isn't a skill that you wake up with, on a random Monday morning. You need to develop it, as you spend more time on fabrics and learning on how to understand them.
In terms of academics which is pretty important unless you are a prodigy in the favric designing zone and have connections in the industry, you need to follow the following steps:
- You can take up any stream for your class 12 board examination or its equivalent.
- Textile design students can take up courses such as Industrial designing, Bachelors of Arts in Design, Bachelors of Arts in Textile, Bachelors of Fine Arts.
- The students will study the basics of elements such as texture, shapes and colors.
- You can take up a Masters in the same course following your undergraduate program.
- Once you are done with your academics, you need to get into the field.
What are the skills required?
- Excellent understanding of fabric.
- Knowledge of color, shapes, sizes, texture of different combination of fabric.
- Good communication skills to handle your clients and team.
- Teamwork is of high importance,as you will always find working with many people simultaneously for each project.
- Understanding of the need of the client, and transforming the same into sketches so that you can get a better idea.
What are the Career Options in Textile Designing?
- As a Career you will be finding yourself working for companies, designing and developing ideas for fabrics.
- You will be testing new types and forms of fabric and how they will go with certain clothes.
- You can also work as a freelancer and work on your own.
- You will find jobs in the interior designing industry as well where focus will be on furnitures, bed lines, rugs etc.
How much will you be earning as a Textile Designer?
According to payscale.com the average salary of a Textile Designer is Rs. 3,71,878. The salary increases with experience and location as well the companies you have worked with. Initially the pay be a bit low, but with time you will find that the salary will improve.
Top Institutes in India for textile Designers
- Blitz Institute of Creative Arts, Bhadohi
- Anuradha Engineering College (AEC)
- College of Engineering & Technology, Akola
- Government College of Engineering Textile Technology, West Bengal
- Institute of Chemical Technology
- D.K.T.E. Society's Textile & Engineering Institute, Kolhapur