RRB exams are conducted every year to fill up lakhs of vacancies in the Indian Railways. Getting a job in railway sector is not easy. Many aspirants would love to work for Indian Railways but are unable to crack the exam. It being a highly preferred job, Indian railway recruits under two categories, i.e., gazetted (Group A and B) and non-gazetted (Group C and D) employees.
The written exam is a must which comprises of a written test, a medical exam, a personal interview & then the merit list. The exam pattern for RRB consists of general science & technical ability, general awareness, arithmetic, general intelligence and reasoning.
To crack the railway exam the individual needs to be aware of the paper pattern. Allotting time for each section and cracking each section is important. Preparing for all the sections along with the solved papers & sample papers can be the smart way to prepare for the exam.
Some of the popular & recommended books to prepare for the railway exams are:
General Science Section
The General Science section can be easily cracked by running through Higher Secondary Science books. Topics covered in the general science section are biology, physics, chemistry, earth sciences, environmental sciences, astronomy and space technology, computer & mobile technology, inventions & discoveries, diseases, nutrition, etc. The candidates who are searching for the study material of General Science should check the details related to the subject over here.
- General Science for Indian Railways RRB Exams -ALP/Group D/NTPC/JE
- Railway To The Point General Knowledge and General Science from KICX
- Objective General Science from Expert Compilations
- Lucent's General Science by Ravi Bhushan
- RRB: Senior Section Engineer from Ramesh Publishing House
- Encyclopedia of General Science from Arihant Experts
Technical Ability Section
For technical ability section, the engineer students need to brush up their technical knowledge on environment and pollution control, chemical metallurgy, computer engineering, electronics engineering, instrument and measurement, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, etc.
Here is a list of best books to crack the technical ability section.
- RRB Technical Exam by Dr. Chandresh Agrawal
- RRB Technician Electrical (Grade-III) Recruitment Exam by Dr. Lal & Mishra
- Railway Technical Question Bank by Kiran Prakashan
- Upkar Railway Recruitment Board Examination by Khanna & Verma
To crack the arithmetic subject, students should be strong in algebra, trigonometry, data interpretation, shares & dividends, profit & loss, mensuration, ratio & proportion and various other topics. Take a look at these books to cover the arithmetic section.
- Arithmetic by R. S. Aggarwal
- Quicker Reasoning Test from Upkar Publication
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning by R. S. Aggarwal
- Indian Railways Assistant Loco Pilot Exam from Disha Experts
- New Approach to Reasoning Verbal & Non-Verbal: Verbal, Non - Verbal & Analytical by Indu Sijwali and B. S. Sijwali
- Time Competitive Arithmetic Objective by Sagir Ahmad
General Awareness Section
To clear general awareness section, one should be updated with the current affairs.
Topics covered in this section are history, geography and politics. Here are few books you must refer for general awareness section.
The history section focuses on ancient history, medieval history and modern history.
Geography section covers movement of earth, interior of earth, longitudes and latitudes, solar system, agriculture in India, etc.
Framing of the constitution, emergency in India, sources of Indian Constitution, chief ministers, article 370 and other topics are asked about in the politics section.
Lucent's General Knowledge from Lucent Publication
Pratiyogita Darpan from Upkar Publication
Manorama Yearbook by Malayala Manorama
General Knowledge & Awareness 2017 for RRB Railway Recruitment Exams (NTPC/ALP/ASM/Technical) from Disha Experts
General Knowledge & Awareness 2018 for RRB Railway Recruitment Exams (NTPC/ALP/ASM/Technical) from Disha Experts