Although the MBBS degree in India is a long-term course with 4.5 years of college and an additional year of interning, a PG degree is a great value addition. Those with a specialised postgraduate degree are looked upon as specialists and valued for their expertise. Getting a PG in medicine is not easy but with passion and purpose, one could pursue and complete it successfully.
Pediatrics deals with the study of children's health. Pediatricians deal with children, from infants to teenagers, and treat them for various conditions. Pediatrics has four sub-specialisations namely general pediatrics, pediatric cardiology, neonatology and community pediatrics. One could choose to specialise in any of the above categories or pursue general pediatrics to cater to all child patients.
Here are a list of courses in pediatrics:
- MS in pediatric dentistry
- Master of Surgery in pediatric surgery
- Master of Occupational Therapy in pediatrics
- Master of Physiotherapy in pediatric neurology
- Master of Physiotherapy- pediatrics
- Doctor of Medicine in pediatric surgery
- Doctor of Medicine in pediatrics and neonatology
- PhD in pediatrics
- PhD in pediatrics surgery
- Doctor of Medicine in pediatrics medicine
- MCh in pediatric surgery
- PG diploma in pediatrics
- PG diploma in adolescent pediatrics
- Postdoctoral certificate courses in pediatric gastroenterology
- Postdoctoral certificate courses in pediatric endocrinology
Cardiology is the study of the heart. It deals with the disorders of the heart and its circulatory system. Heart attacks, heart murmurs, coronary heart disease and hypertension are some of the symptoms that cardiologists treat patients for.
Here are a list of courses in cardiology:
- MSc in cardiology
- MD in clinical cardiology
- PG diploma in cardiology
- PG diploma in clinical cardiology
Anaesthesia is the method of creating insensitivity to pain through artificial methods. This is helpful especially during surgery and invasive procedures. Anesthesiologists play an important role in helping patients avoid pain during operations.
Here are a list of courses in anaesthesiology:
- PG diploma in conscious sedation for dentistry
- PG diploma in physician assistant (anaesthesia)
- PG diploma in anaesthesiology
- PG diploma in pain management
- PG certificate in non-invasive aesthetic techniques
- PG certificate in pain management
- MSc in pain management
- MSc in anaesthesiology
- MD in anesthesia
- MS in anaesthesiology
- MPhil in surgical sciences and anaesthesia
- MPhil anaesthetics and intensive care
- PhD anaesthesia and intensive care
- PhD surgical sciences and anaesthesia
Psychiatry is the study of mental illness, emotional disturbance and abnormal behaviour in human beings. Psychiatrists help in treating the mental health of patients.
Here are a list of courses in psychiatry:
- MSc in psychiatry
- MSc in psychoanalysis
- MSc in clinical neuropsychiatry
- MA in psychoanalytic studies
- MA in psychodynamic theory and practice
- MPhil in psychological medicine and clinical neurosciences
- PhD in social genetic and developmental psychiatry
- PhD in psychological medicine and clinical neurosciences
Gynaecology is the study of female reproductive systems. Gynaecologists deal with treating the reproductive organs in women and play a major role in pregnancy guidance and treatment.
MSc, MS, MD and PhD are available in obstetrics and gynaecology.
Surgery refers to the cutting open of any human body part to perform corrective procedures inside it to cure illness.
Here are a list of courses in surgery:
- MSc in oral and maxillofacial surgery
- MPhil in surgery
- MPhil in medicine and surgery
- MS in surgery
- Master of Advanced Surgery
- PhD in surgery and oncology
Ophthalmology is the branch of physiology that deals with the eyes. Ophthalmologists help in correcting vision through lenses or other procedures for patients.
Here are a list of courses in ophthalmology:
- MSc in ophthalmology
- MSc in clinical ophthalmology
- PG diploma in ophthalmology
- Masters in Orthoptics
- PhD in clinical vision sciences
ENT refers to the ear, nose and throat. The connection between these organs is the focus area of this study. ENT specialists treat the disorders or infections in the three mentioned body parts. MSc and MS in ENT are the most prevalent courses available in this field.
Rheumatology is the study of rheumatism, that is, arthritis and other disorders of the joints, muscles and ligaments. Rheumatology focuses on the treatment of the musculoskeletal and immune system.
Here are a list of courses in rheumatology:
- MSc in rheumatology
- MSc in clinical rheumatology and musculoskeletal medicine
- PG diploma in rheumatology
Nephrology is the branch of science that deals with the kidneys, where nephrons are present. A specialisation in nephrology helps in treating the urinary system to cure disorders such as kidney cancer and hypertension. MSc, MS and MD in nephrology are available prevalently.