Every year, over four lakh candidates appear for the Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC) preliminary examination. Due to the introduction of negative marking in the preliminary exam, there will be a drop in the merit. With a smart study, one can score well without losing any marks in UPPSC preliminary exam. Here are some preparation tips that help you crack the UPPSC preliminary exam.
UPPSC Exam Pattern
The new exam pattern looks similar to the UPSC Civil Services preliminary exam. The UPPSC preliminary exam consists of two general studies papers.
Paper-I consists of subjects such as current affairs, history, geography, economy, Indian polity, environmental and ecological concepts and general science. However, paper-II is a qualifying one and 33 per cent marks are required to qualify. Both the papers are of 200 marks and the duration is two hours.
While coming to the UPPSC main examination, it consists of four general studies papers of 200 marks each. Aspirants have to choose one optional subject that consists of 400 marks. There will be one general Hindi paper and an essay paper of 150 marks each.
Make Sure You Never Go Wrong
As the negative marking has been introduced in the UPPSC preliminary exam, one should not be lethargic their accuracy at any cost. It will be very difficult for any aspirant to memorise all the facts and figures. The best way to get the right answer is through the elimination process.
Track All The Important Events
Whoever is preparing for the competitive examinations will say that current affairs is the most important section. One has to track all the important events and issues that have taken place in the calendar year. As the weightage for the current affairs is high, never ignore this section. We also advise preparing a timeline for the trending issues for better understanding.
Never Go Wrong With Basics
The basic concepts play a significant role in any competitive examination and there is no exception for the UPPSC preliminary exam. Keep all the facts and figures at your fingertips because half of the paper will be based on statistic GK. While preparing for the exam, candidates should prepare flash cards and highlight the important points.
UPPSC Preliminary Exam Preparation Tips
- In history, give more importance to the social, economic and political sections. Also, focus on the independence movement specifically from the Gandhian era.
- Focus more on economics and physical geography because many questions are expected from these topics.
- Many candidates will read the constitution to score well in polity-related questions. Along with this, give priority to the political system and latest developments.
- The facts and figures are very important in the environmental section.
- Reading the NCERT textbooks will land you safe in the general science section.