Ravi Kumar Dahiya, an Indian wrestler, won a historic silver medal in the 57kg freestyle category at the Tokyo Olympics. Ravi Dahiya won silver, defeating Russian wrestler Zaur Uguev 7-4 in the final. His Olympic silver medal is the second-ever an individual has won a silver medal in the wrestling event.
After double medalist Sushil Kumar, Ravi became the second Indian wrestler to reach the Olympic final. After KD Jadhav (1952 Helsinki Games), Sushil Kumar (2008 Beijing Olympics, 2012 London Games), Yogeshwar Dutt (2012 London Olympics), and Sakshi Malik (2012 London Olympics), Ravi Kumar has become the sixth Indian wrestler to earn an Olympic medal (2016 Rio Olympics).
Here are ten facts you should know about Ravi Kumar Dahiya, the two-time Asian Wrestling Champion.
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya comes from the Nahri village in Haryana's Sonepat district.
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya is a 23-year-old Indian wrestler.
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya comes from a farmer's family. His father used to work in his village's paddy fields.
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya began wrestling when he was ten years old.
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya grew up taking training in the Chhatrasal Stadium in North Delhi.
- Satpal Singh, a former Asian Games gold medalist, is Ravi Kumar Dahiya's coach.
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya came in second place at the 2015 Junior World Wrestling Championships before winning silver at the 2018 U-23 World Championships.
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya is a World Championship bronze medalist at the senior level, as well as the Asian Champion since 2020.
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya has earned a spot in the Tokyo Olympics. He also secured a medal for India at the Tokyo Olympics by defeating Kazakhstan's Nurislam Sanayev in the Semi-Finals by a fall and qualifying for the Finals.
- Since the year 2019, Ravi Kumar Dahiya has been a member of the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS).