Lal Bahadur Shastri, India's second Prime Minister of India, held the position from 1964 to 1966. Shastri was born on October 2, 1904, at Mughalsarai in Uttar Pradesh. He was conferred with 'Shastri' title in Kashi Vidya Peeth in 1926 to mark the scholarly success.
Shastri is the one behind introducing the slogan "Jai Jawan Jai Kisan," which is even popular after several decades. He participated in various Indian National Movements such as Non-Cooperation and Salt March. Shastri swims river Ganga twice a day to attend the school with books on the top because of money constraint.
The life story of Shastri is truly an inspiration to many youngsters across the country. Shastri shares his birthday with Mahatma Gandhi on October 2. On his birth anniversary, let's explore some Lal Bahadur Shastri quotes.
Top 13 Lal Bahadur Shastri Quotes
- "We can win respect in the world only if we are strong internally and can banish poverty and unemployment from our country."
- "We believe in the dignity of man as an individual, whatever his race, colour or creed, and his right to better, fuller, and richer life."
- "The economic issues are most vital for us and it is of the highest importance that we should fight our biggest enemies - Poverty, unemployment."
- "India will have to hang down her head in shame if even one person is left who is said in any way to be untouchable."
- "Discipline and united action are the real source of strength for the nation."
- "The preservation of freedom, is not the task of soldiers alone. The whole nation has to be strong."
"We believe in peace and peaceful development, not only for ourselves but for people all over the world."