Annually, the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts an entrance examination for the recruitment of Junior Hindi Translator, Junior Translator, Senior Hindi Translator and Hindi Pradhyapak posts. SSC JHT is an opportunity for candidates to get a government job with a good pay scale. To ace the SSC Junior Hindi Translator (JHT) exam, one should pick the right books for the preparation. Here are the top 10 books for SSC JHT exam preparation.
SSC JHT Exam Pattern
In order to shortlist the candidates for vacancies, SSC tests the candidates in two stages. Paper I is an objective test which will be a computer-based test. It consists of general Hindi and general English. The duration of the exam is two hours. The second stage of the exam will be conducted in the descriptive mode for a total of 200 marks.
The subjects in paper II are translation and essay. This paper will contain two passages for translation - one passage for translation from Hindi to English and one passage for translation from English to Hindi, and an essay each in Hindi and English. The test is designed to test the candidates' translation skills and their ability to write as well as comprehend the two languages correctly, precisely and effectively.
Books For SSC JHT Hindi Language
The stage I will be conducted in online mode and questions are designed to test the candidates' understanding of the language and literature, correct use of words, phrases and idioms and ability to write the language correctly, precisely and effectively. The official notification clearly stated that the questions will be of degree level. Below are some of the books for SSC JHT Hindi language preparation.
1. Idioms, Phrases & Proverbs with Hindi Meanings by H S Bhatia
2. General Hindi and Concise Grammar - An Indispensable Guide for all Competitive Exams by Dr Brij Kishore Prasad Singh
3. Adhunik Hindi Vyakaran aur Rachna (Hindi) by Dr Vashudevnandan Prasad
Books For SSC JHT English Language
English is required at both the stages of the examination. The candidates will be tested on the understanding of language and literature, correct use of words, phrases and idioms and ability to write the language correctly, precisely and effectively. Below are the best books for English language preparation.
4. English Grammar Book by Wren and Martin
5. Competitive General English - Hind by Think Tank of Kiran Prakashan
6. Popular English Grammar (with Hindi explanations) by H S Bhatia
7. Objective General English by S.P. Bakshi
Books For Translation Skills
Paper II is a descriptive one and candidates need to do the translation from English to Hindi and vice-versa. The translation will include one passage and essay. Hence, the translation skills are most important to ace the examination. Here are the best books for translation skills.
8. SSC Junior Hindi Translator Exam by Arihant Publication
9. SSC Senior/Junior Hindi Translators Exam by Upkar's Publication
10. SSC Translator/Pradhyapak Recruitment Exam Guide by RPH Editorial Board