Ayurveda, an ancient method which evolved around 600 B.C in India. The word Ayurveda originated from a Sanskrit word, 'Ayur' meaning Life and 'Veda' meaning Knowledge. Ayurveda, which continues to be one of the world's most sophisticated and powerful mind-body health systems. More than a mere system of treating illness, Ayurveda is a science of life.
Nowadays Ayurveda has become very popular among the tourist especially foreigners. As modern medicine with its strong chemical drugs fails to combat nature. Patients from all over the Globe are coming to India for Ayurveda treatment. With the popularity of the system, the demand for Ayurvedic doctors is on the rise.
What is the eligibility to get admission into Ayurveda?
- To get the admission in this field you must have cleared the 12th examination preferably with Sanskrit or an examination equivalent there to, or Intermediate (Ayurvedic group- Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Sanskrit) of any recognized University/Board which conforms to the specifications approved by the Council.
- The Ayurvedic Colleges of India awards the Degree of "Ayurvedacharya" or B.A.M.S. (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery) at the Bachelor level.
- Candidates who have passed BAMS can apply for post graduate programs.
What are the courses offered for Ayurveda?
- Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS)
- Certificate course in Ayurveda Panchakarma.
- Diploma in Ayurveda Medicine.
- Diploma in Ayurvedic Massage.
- Diploma In Ayurvedic Panchakarma.
Some institutions also offer certificate courses or pre Ayurvedic courses of 1 year to 2 years. Eligibility needed for such course is S.S.L.C./ Matriculation preferably with Sanskrit or an examination equivalent.
Colleges offering admissions in Ayurveda courses are listed here:
- Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh
- Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore
- JB Roy State Medical College, Kolkata
- Ashwini Ayurvedic Medical College, Davanagere
- Gujarat Ayurved University, Jamnagar
- Ayurvedic Medical College, Kolhapur
- State Ayurvedic College of Lucknow
- Shri Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya, Nagpur
- Rishikul Government PG Ayurvedic College & Hospital, Haridwar
- Dayanand Ayurvedic College, Jalandhar
- Asthang Ayurveda College, Indore
- Mai Bhago Ayurvedic Medical College
The job profiles in the field of Ayurveda are as the following:
- There is a good job opportunity in the field of Ayurveda.
- An Ayurvedic practitioner can get employment as medical officer/doctor at government and private Ayurvedic hospitals.
- One can also start his/ her own practice or open ones own retail shop of Ayurveda medicines.
- They can also find employment as supervisors in 'Panch Karma' ( Ayurvedic massage) / health centers, as tutors in Ayurvedic colleges or do research, conduct workshops, seminars, and retreats.
- Salary in this sector depends on the employer and experience one has in the field.