The Dental Council of India is the first incorporated body to commence the dental Education in India. Some of the dental colleges in India are very well-equipped with the essential modern facilities with an excellent panel of faculty.
The survey processes the rankings of India's best professional colleges which began with extensive research to establish the criteria for selecting the master list of colleges.
A separate perceptual survey was conducted among students, faculty, HR professionals, recruiters, practicing doctors, dentists, social activists, fashion designers, media professionals, engineers and architects in Delhi, Lucknow, Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata, Ahemdabad, Hyderabad, Patna and Bhubaneswar.
Field researchers conducted questionnaire-based interviews among 295 senior faculty members, 315 students and 262 recruiters and professionals.
Here are the Top 15 Dental colleges in India:
Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, Delhi
- Located in the heart of National Capital Territory of Delhi, Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences enjoys the best of what Old and New Delhi has to offer.
- The college is surrounded by Chandni Chowk, Daryaganj, Connaught Place and the Ferozshah Kotla.
- It aims to emerge as an institute of regional and global excellence in the field of dental education, patient care and research.
- It maintains leadership role in consistently providing accessible, affordable and comprehensive oral health care services to all with focus on underprivileged.
For further information, visit Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, Delhi
Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal
- The Manipal College of Dental Sciences (MCODS), Manipal, formerly known as the College of Dental Surgery.
- It is the first self-financing dental college in the private sector of India. Established in the year 1965.
- The undergraduate programme of four years followed by one year of internship leads to a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) degree and the postgraduate programme of three years leads to a Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) degree.
For further information, visit Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal
Government Dental College, Mumbai
- Government Dental College and Hospital, Mumbai is one of the premier institutes of India imparting Dental Education and Services to the country as well as abroad.
- It is establishmed in the year 1938.
- The Institute has been named in the Top Three Dental Colleges in India by the Outlook Magazine for two years.
- Affiliated to the prestigious Maharashtra University Of Health Sciences, Nashik.
- This Institute believes in being the paradigm in Education and Healing as it boasts of state of the art equipments and technology as well as a highly qualified and respected Teaching Staff.
For further information, visit Government Dental College, Mumbai
Nair Hospital Dental College, Mumbai
- Nair Hospital Dental College,located in Mumbai (Maharashtra).
- It is affiliated to Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, (MUHS), Nashik.
- The college is approved by Dental council of India (DCI), Ministry of Health, Government of India and Government of Maharashtra.
- It aims to impart quality education to the aspirants in order to train them to become well qualified and skilled dentists.
For further information, visit Nair Hospital Dental College, Mumbai
Government Dental College, Bangalore
- The Government Dental College in Bangalore is one of the first few dental colleges in the country post independence and the first dental college in Karnataka.
- The college started in 1958.
- Within a very short period of time GDC gained lot of importance with its service to humanity mainly through best dental education to its students.
- It is also catering to the needs of the population in and around Karnataka through efficient oral health care delivery.
For further information, visit Government Dental College, Bangalore
Faculty of Dental Sciences, King George's, Lucknow
- The first hospital associated with King George's dental University was built in 1914, and was called King George Hospital.
- The first postgraduate examination in Medicine and Pathology was held in 1918.
- The university campus is spread over an area of roughly 100,000 sq metres.
For further information,visit Faculty of Dental Sciences, King George's, Lucknow
PG Institute of Dental Sciences, Rohtak
- The Institute was started under the name of Medical College, Rohtak in the year 1960.
- The Institute has a remarkably well developed campus spread over an area of 350 acres of land.
- During the 50 years of its existence, Pt. B.D.Sharma, PGIMS, Rohtak has witnessed a phenomenal growth achieving not only its designated goals but also in expanding its horizons to set newer objectives completely commensurable with the requirements of National goal of "Health for all by 2020".
For further information, visit PG Institute of Dental Sciences, Rohtak
SDM College of Dental Sciences, Dharwad
- This dental school was founded in 1986.
- The college has a clear vision and philosophy of its own, not only to bring out doctors who excel in knowledge, skills and service but also good human beings to serve the community.
- The remarkable achievements of this establishment starting from the school's inception to its continuing pre-eminence culminated in 2002 when NAAC a unit of University Grants Commission assessed, and accredited this institution with Five Star status.
For further information, visit SDM College of Dental Sciences, Dharwad
Bapuji Dental College and Hospital, Davangere
- Bapuji Dental College was founded in the year 1979.
- The college is now headed by Dr. K Sadashiva Shetty, one of India's leading face in orthodontics.
- He is the transformational guardian in making the college from being one among India's best dental colleges to that of Asia's.
- This college has been one of the most vibrant and dynamic institutions in the field of dental education.
For further information,visit Bapuji Dental College and Hospital, Davangere
SRM Dental College, Chennai
- The SRM Dental college, Ramapuram was started in the year 1996-1997.
- It has rapidly developed hence, earning a respectable name, in a short span of time.
- SRM Dental college, was the first among dental colleges to earn a deemed University status in the year 2002.
- SRM Dental college was rated by the Outlook magazine as the 11th best dental college in the whole of India and the best college in Tamil Nadu for the year 2012.
- It is an ISO 9001:2008 Certified Institution.
For further information, visit SRM Dental College, Chennai
Faculty of Dental Sciences, BHU, Varanasi
- Banaras Hindu University ranks among the first few in the country in the field of academic and research output.
- This university has two campuses, 3 institutes, 16 faculties, 140 departments, 4 advanced centers and 4 interdisciplinary schools.
- The University is making its mark at the national and international levels in a number of frontier areas of Science, Social Science, Technology, Medicine and Agriculture etc.
For further information, visit Faculty of Dental Sciences, BHU, Varanasi
Government Dental College, Nagpur
- Govt. Dental College and Hospital, Nagpur was established in 1968.
- It aims at fulfilling aspirations of students to obtain professional "education and growing demand for education in dentistry in this region."
- Initially it was affiliated to the University of Nagpur.
- The college has been recognised by the Dental Council of India. Over the years, this college has earned recognition and reputation at the National and International level.
- Currently, one undergraduate and one postgraduate courses are being offered at this college including induction of PhD programme.
For further information, visit Government Dental College, Nagpur
AB Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore
- AB Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore was founded in 1985.
- Students at the campus are facilitated to devote more time for their mental and physical development.
- In the campus so that students can manage their money from within the campus rather than wasting time for such processes.
For further information, visit AB Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore
Government Dental College, Aurangabad
- Government Dental College, Aurangabad was established in 1956.
- At present, the college accepts 150 students per year for the undergraduate course MBBS and around 84 students per year for the various postgraduate courses.
- The College has as excellent training center for young medical doctors, nurses, and DMLT students in the art and science of medicine.
For further information, visit Government Dental College, Aurangabad
Saraswati Dental College and Hospital, Lucknow
- Saraswati Dental College and Hospital, Lucknow was established in 1998.
- Saraswati Dental College has also an 'Out Patient Department' that provides modern facilities.
- It also has adopted 28 villages in its vicinity with an aim of providing them free dental inspection and treatment.
- The dental college offers undergraduate (with an intake of 100 seats per year) and postgraduate courses (with enrollment of 15 seats every year) in dental science.
For further information, visit Saraswati Dental College and Hospital, Lucknow
Also read: List of Recent Top Dental Colleges in India