Innovation is the key to success and it is everywhere. If you are not innovating you are in the end of the line. Inventing new technologies to help drive the global economy is one of the major goals of some universities.
Such innovations made by the university to advance science is a boost to its global rankings.
This here is the list that ranks educational institutions based on their innovation and doing the most to advanced science.
The list has been compiled by Reuters which relies exclusively on emperical data such as patent breakthroughs.
See the list below:
#1 Stanford University , USA
- Stanford University again tops the Reuters list of the most innovative universities as the students and faculty of this university are consistent with innovation
- They are consistently producing patents and papers that influence both academics and private industry
- The university's faculty and alumni have founded major tech companies including Google, Hewlett-Packard and Cisco Systems.
For further information visit, www.stanford.edu
#2 Massachusetts Institute of Technology , USA
- MIT being the brains behind some of the most important innovations like development of digital computers and the completion of the Human Genome Project is ranked number two in the list
- In its 155-year history, the university's student and staff alumni has included 85 Nobel laureates.
- In fiscal year 2015, MIT had research expenditures of $696.89 million, 17 percent of which came from industry sponsors, including Ford, Google, Intel, Shell and Samsung.
#3 Harvard University, USA
- Ranking 3rd, it is the oldest institution of higher education in the US
- It has produced 47 Noble laureates, 32 heads of state and 48 Pulitzer Prize winners over the course of its 380-year history
- The university's $36.4 billion endowment is the world's largest.
- The Harvard Innovation Lab, launched in November 2011, serves as a resource for students interested in entrepreneurship and innovation and has helped incubate more than 700 companies.
For more visit www.harvard.edu
#4 University of Texas System, USA
- The system includes 8 Nobel laureates.
- UT receives almost 70 percent of all research funds awarded to public institutions in Texas each year
- Over the past five years, UT says researchers from its 14 institutions have produced more than 120,000 publications
For more visit www.utsystem.edu
#5 University of Washington, USA
- UW says it receives more federal research dollars than any other public university in the nation
- UW's collaborative innovation hub, CoMotion, launched a record 21 new startups based on its research technologies
For more visit, www.washington.edu
#6 KAIST, South Korea
- KAIST is the nation's oldest research-oriented science and engineering university
- A dual degree program allows students in select disciplines to simultaneously earn degrees from KAIST and partners including Carnegie Mellon University and the Georgia Institute of Technology.
- KAIST promotes entrepreneurship in its students through a program called Startup KAIST, which helps develop business ideas and find funding for new businesses.
For more visit, www.kaist.edu
#7 University of Michigan, USA
- Over the past 10 years, the university's tech transfer office has helped launch over 110 new startups
- The university spends nearly $1.3 billion on research annually
For more visit www.umich.edu
#8 University of Pennsylvania, USA
- The university has been home to four Nobel Prize laureates and five National Medal of Science recipients in the past two decades alone.
- The university operates 136 research centers and institutes, and has a research budget of $878 million.
For more visit www.upenn.edu
# 9 KU Leuven, Belgium
- Founded in 1425, it is the world's oldest Catholic University
- KU Leuven maintains one of the largest independent research and development organizations in the world
- The administrators here aim to 3 to 10 years ahead of industrial needs in fields including microelectronics, nanotechnology, and information and communications systems
- In fiscal 2014, research spending exceeded €426 million.
For more visit www.kuleuven.be
#10 Northwestern University, USA
- The university receives more than $600 million annually in research funding.
- A private research university, Northwestern's Innovation and New Ventures Office helps to commercialize the results of research and technology developed at the school by faculty, staff and students.
For more visit, www.northwestern.edu